PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Conversion & Dodge Mirror Upgrade to a GM truck

RyanBambach
07-10-2006, 14:07
I posted this in the Towing section but figured this might go over better on this page....

Just wondering what most people are doing for towing mirrors for there 88-98 Chevy's/GMC's. Reason being I was looking for a long time without finding a mirrow that would work for hauling my 102" wide Cargo Trailer other than the 1970's style bolt on West Coast mirror look...no thank you!!!!

What I found out was that the 1999-2002 Dodge towing mirrors body lines match perfectly to our CK style doors! After hours of trying to figure out how to bolt them up and now putting them on 4 different trucks! I have made a kit that is almost a complete bolt on but does require some mild drilling of 3- 1/4" holes.

Here is my question...I have found a source right from Dodge for these Mirrors at $250 per pair and I figure the mounting brackets/ hole drilling jig and instructions would be worth $300.

For an actually factory towing mirror would this be worth it? I have seen the CIPA mirrors and have used them and personally like the visability of these Dodge Units better!

What do you all think??? worth it to guys or no. I could also just supply a kit and have people buy there own off of e-bay.

Thanks...RyanB

Here is an atatchment of them on my brothers 89

I also have other pictures I will post for you tomorrow of them on my Dually

RyanBambach
07-11-2006, 09:04
Here are a few other pictures of the mirrors on two different trucks. What do you all think???? What I would do would be supply the bracketry, drilling/cutting pattern and detailed instructions and I could either source the mirrors or the buyer could...I would charge $50 for the bracketry and the mirrors can be purchased from $150-$300 on E-bay. Here are the pictures...the body lines match perfectly and so do the moulding lines and it takes only about 1 hour to put them on start to finish.

Thanks...Ryan

MTTwister
07-11-2006, 09:35
a set on E-Bay is buy it now for about 189.

Edit: snips from an auction page:
Part # 82206157
Up for bids is a set of Brand New Mopar Manual Trailer Tow Mirrors. This set will fit 1994 to 2002 model Dodge Ram 2500 & 3500 and 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. They will not fit 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. These are manually adjustable mirrors and do not have heat for defrosting.
MOPAR DOES NOT OFFER AND DOES NOT PLAN TO OFFER POWER

Do they have electric versions? ( Answered my own question - E-gag auction number http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Ram-Truck-94-02-Manual-Trailer-Tow-Towing-Mirrors_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33649QQihZ009QQ itemZ190006039854QQrdZ1 )

any serious clearance issues - looks like they really hang out there...

Great fit. Looks like a really nice conversion.

Mopar Part-No. 82206157.

93_Burrito
07-11-2006, 10:24
I spy a solid front axle on the dually... nice, very nice.

RyanBambach
07-11-2006, 11:46
yeah Unfortuantly those mirrors of that style don't come in power...not to say you can't make them into power for more $$$ the ones on the dually are actually power but that involved buying a set of 2002-2006 Towing mirrors and swapping the heads on them! it was costly but I went all out on the truck!

You are also right...you spy a solid axle! What you won't find is leaf springs! Its a Dodge60/ARB with coils and 2005 Trailing arms.

The truck also has another little supprise...well there are ALOT! here are a few pics!

RyanBambach
07-11-2006, 11:51
A few other pics

RyanBambach
07-11-2006, 11:53
Oh...there is also a Duramax intercooler behind the grill of that OBS!!!

93_Burrito
07-11-2006, 12:14
Sweet truck would be an understatement... I'll just settle for WOW!

Eric.wc
07-11-2006, 13:22
That if friggen awesome. You took my dream list of mods and did it. How? where? who? More details please!!!!!!!!

CareyWeber
07-11-2006, 13:39
Ryan,

As far as the mirrors go I'd like to hit that like a pen fed trout after a worm. ;)

The rest f the truck well it would all be cool to have.

Carey

RyanBambach
07-11-2006, 13:50
That if friggen awesome. You took my dream list of mods and did it. How? where? who? More details please!!!!!!!!

Well, where to start!!!

The truck was originaly as follows-

1989 Reg-Cab, 2 wheel drive Dually
350 gasser
Turbo400 Tranny
Dana70 Rear
Power Nothing
Needed TONS of body work

Here is the list of mods just off the top of my head!

Crew-Cab (stretched frame, bought a wrecked cab, spliced my firewall to it (wrecked cab had fire wall pushed in to far) Cab was a 1999 and had new interior and leather seats...power everything and all wiring I needed)

4x4 conversion- I used my coil sprung 2wd frame. Put a Dodge D60 under it, reworked all the mounts to work with a set of 2005 Ford Trailing arms. I located a custom Panhard Bar behind the diff instead of in front because of frame clearence. I also removed alot out of the crossmember but re-enforced it with 1/4" and looks better than stock and is stronger. I also put a ARB locker in the front diff.

Transmission/T-case - I used a 2003 Dodge 6-speed and a 1998 Dodge NP241 HD. The clutch is a Haisley Machine Dual Disk Competition Puller!!! The rear drive shaft is now a single shaft (84" long!!!) 4" heavy wall tubing.

The rear axle is GMC 11.5" AAM dually axle with a few goodies!

The engine is of course a 5.9 Cummins. Custom built by Haisley Machine in Indiana. It is 14mm studded (stock is 12mm), Dual fire-ringed for 120+ lbs of boost!!! Custom ground cam shaft, Custom flycut low comp pistons, Ballanced to 6000 rpm, Fluidampr, Studded bottom end and girdled! and a whole bunch more. The P7100 pump has a custom cam, Plungers and Barrels bored to 13MM from 12mm. A 5000rpm gov kit, HUGE injectors!!!! Custom stainless lines and a hole bunch more! I also have Twins for the truck (not setup yet) and will be having my 5" stack from the large HTB3 turbo shoot right thru that nice cowl hood!!!!!! As for an idea of what the pump flows....The pump stock flowed just over 200cc's of fuel and wouldn't turn past 2800rpm. After all the mods it flowed 1255cc's at 1000strokes/min per 5500 rpm. I had them detune it to 750cc's and 4500rpms (for now due to my rules in my class).

I also used a 6.5L rad for the conversion and a 2004 Duramax Intercooler. The rad fits amazingly into the D-Max IC. Now fitting the IC to the rad support was another story but I made it work! My rad support looks just like it did stock...nice and clean looking and everything works! I don't have any pictures of it yet other than the one posted but in a few weeks when I setup my twin turbo's I have to pull the rad again so I will snap some pictures.

What else....Alcoa wheels, 3.5" cowl hood

Oh...and probaby about 6000 Hours of work!!! and you have no idea how much $$$$

Any more questions please ask!!!

Eric.wc
07-11-2006, 14:37
Very nice that was a big job bigger than I thought! Very impressive fab skills!
what size tires and rims 19.5? are you running? I want to convert to a solid dif in front and drop in a cummins but I don't have your fab skills so I need to find a shop. Auto World will probaly be the ones I contact for the cummins swap just need to find some one to do the solid diff
Again very nice thanks for shareing!

will the mirror mounts work on the manual extension mirror dodge uses. If so I would be interested in a set for the sub. I have the cipa ones on my truck not very impressed so if they work our on the sub I will be convering the truck as well so you could put me down for 2 sets.

RyanBambach
07-11-2006, 14:41
One question I have for everyone that frequents the board alot...Is it possible to change the title of this post and maybe start another one for the mirror conversion? is there a moderator I should talk to? I can't seem to edit the first post to do it.

Thanks...RyanB

RyanBambach
07-11-2006, 14:58
Very nice that was a big job bigger than I thought! Very impressive fab skills!
what size tires and rims 19.5? are you running? I want to convert to a solid dif in front and drop in a cummins but I don't have your fab skills so I need to find a shop. Auto World will probaly be the ones I contact for the cummins swap just need to find some one to do the solid diff
Again very nice thanks for shareing!

will the mirror mounts work on the manual extension mirror dodge uses. If so I would be interested in a set for the sub. I have the cipa ones on my truck not very impressed so if they work our on the sub I will be convering the truck as well so you could put me down for 2 sets.

Eric- They are only 16" alcoa's....everyone thinks they are 19.5's! The tires are 255/85R16's. I thought about doing 19.5's or 22.5's but had to run a pickup size tire for my class of pulling.

I am a little confused as to what you are refering to on the manual exntesion mirrors? do you mean the ones I have there that flip up? those are the only towing mirrors Dodge offers other than the big west coast style that bolt to the door skins!

Let me know...Ryan

Eric.wc
07-12-2006, 08:14
I am a little confused as to what you are refering to on the manual exntesion mirrors? do you mean the ones I have there that flip up? those are the only towing mirrors Dodge offers other than the big west coast style that bolt to the door skins!

Let me know...Ryan

I understand now... haveing never really paid attention to how the dodge mirrors worked I assumed the slid out like most others. So then yes i am interested.

BTW Sorry to Hihjack the post. I think the mods can change the title.

Dale S
07-12-2006, 16:45
Ryan, check your PM's

Patrick m.
07-13-2006, 16:22
another vote for "sweet".

JoeyD
07-13-2006, 20:05
More front suspension pics are needed, please.

RyanBambach
07-14-2006, 09:18
Here are a few suspension pictures of before the body/engine was mounted...hopefully you will see what you want to see in these.

RyanB

RyanBambach
07-14-2006, 09:28
Unfortunatly that is all the pics I am allowed to post...not enough space or something. Here is a link to another post of mine on another site...there are a bunch of suspension pics for you to see there.

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1530567/an/0/page/0/vc/1

Thanks...RyanB

ThumperTDC
01-07-2007, 00:11
Damn that is one sweet setup, me likey :D

rockin-b-farms
03-06-2007, 22:03
That is a sweet ride, what style alcoa wheels? How much lift do you have over stock? chad

96GMCK2500
06-29-2010, 13:39
Hello everyone,

A fellow employee just installed these towing mirrors on his Dodge as an upgrade and I thought they looked like they might fit my 1996 GMC. I was very glad to find this thread that confirms my hunch, but would like to contact RyanBambach (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/member.php?u=12599) to see about getting the template and backing plate from him. Does anyone know how to contact him?

Thanks for any help you can give me!