PDA

View Full Version : waste gate

Artworks
07-11-2006, 05:13
Just question for those out three. I am getting a code 78, waste gate selonoid, sometimes when I am cruising, when I back off, or accelerate, light goes out, but will come back on when I resume cruising ( at 2000 - 2200 rpm. ) I am also get a lot of black smoke on acceloration. But not all the time ???? The waste gate seemes to move easy from the vacum ' pod' . should this diaphram be easy to move by hand ??? I think it is this pod that may be leaking vacum. Other idea's will be appreciated. Thanks

DennisG01
07-11-2006, 06:11
Could be the solenoid - they don't always last that long (but it's a cheap repair). You could try to spray some WD-40 into the vacuum line at the wastegate - it might help. You could have a cracked vacuum line (or bad wastegate as you mentioned), especially if it's easy to move the wastegate arm - you didn't specify, but I assume you were trying to move the arm when the engine is running? It should only be easy when the engine is off.

moondoggie
07-11-2006, 10:05
[font=times][size=+]Good Day!

Your symptoms are classic of an intermittent Wastegate Control Solenoid or sticky wastegate pivot shaft.
[list]
With engine off, see if Wastegate Actuator moves relatively freely.
Tee into vacuum between vacuum pump & Wastegate Control Solenoid

ol9465er
07-13-2006, 20:24
I had a similar problem after doing a headgasket. I had the vacum lines switched on the solenoied. It is important that they are on right way round as the solenoid has an exahaust port that allows the wastegate to vent. Try changing the lines around and see if this resolves the problem.

Good luck.