PDA

View Full Version : Power

jon6.5
07-11-2006, 10:11
ok i got a little cash i want to put into my 1996 sierra it has the 6.5 turbo diesel. Im 16 and dont have alot to spend, about 600 dollars so i want to spend it and get the most power increase i can i hunted this place and never found much for my year of truck. so any help or links would be apperiated.

thanks Jon

moondoggie
07-11-2006, 10:54
Good Day!

There's a principle that applies to 6.5TD's that you need to remember. Just about the only safe mods you can make before you add AT LEAST boost & EGT gauges is intake & exhaust; a good 3 1/2" or 4" exhaust will eat up most of your $600, cleaning up the airflow into your air filter will only cost you time.

If you decide to skip the exhaust & reflash your PCM and/or any one of the many things you can do, get those gauges 1st. You will ultimately have to clean up the intake & replace the exhaust to realize what your other mods will provide - these engines are really choked. The principle is - get the air in & out.

I've got Kennedy's 3 1/2" exhaust on my Sub & am real happy with it, as are most folks who buy his system; there are other alternatives available too, I guess I just like John - he's an excellent vendor IMHO.

Blessings!

jon6.5
07-11-2006, 12:37
i do have the gauge already i get about 10psi boost right now, i was thinking a boost fooler uni air filter and 4 or 5 inch exahust would be a good start

john8662
07-11-2006, 13:45
4" Exhaust is the largest you're going to find. But, the advantage beyond 3.5" is very minimal, because the turbo downpipe is going to be 3" because of clearance issues and that's the outlet size off the turbocharger itself.

Good start with the gauges, the air filter replacement will make a small difference, as will a little more boost.

More Power
07-11-2006, 14:33
I'd also recommend having the timing checked. Many suggest a TDC-Offset of -1.94 as a good setting for power and efficiency.

Jim

farmboy1989
07-11-2006, 19:20
Howdy Jon, from one 16 year old to another.Gotta overhaul my beast. Good improvement for most performance engines seems to be an intercooler but im not sure on the cost. Could ya tell us some more bout yer truck?

jon6.5
07-11-2006, 21:35
ok its a 1996 sierra extended cab short box 6.5L turbo diesel 3500 umm it is all stock but a turbo a gauge, and i bypassed the waste gate actuator so it dosent limit the max psi of boost anymore. anything else you want to know just ask.

jon6.5
07-11-2006, 21:41
ok its a 1996 sierra extended cab short box 6.5L turbo diesel 3500 umm it is all stock but a turbo a gauge, and i bypassed the waste gate actuator so it dosent limit the max psi of boost anymore. anything else you want to know just ask.

winemaker
07-12-2006, 14:45
I hope someone who knows what he's talking about responds, but from what I gather, you can't not limit your boost without possibly blowing the heads right off your truck or melting your engine, particularly when you haven't changed the way the truck breathes ie: intake/exhaust. Someone tell me if I'm out to lunch. Cheers! Brett

JeffsTowTruck
07-12-2006, 17:07
Per MP "I'd also recommend having the timing checked. Many suggest a TDC-Offset of -1.94 as a good setting for power and efficiency"

Would you explain a little more about this. I keep seeing it but am not sure what you do???
Is this a simple thing or does it have to be done by someone with equip.

dieselboy28
07-12-2006, 18:09
I hope someone who knows what he's talking about responds, but from what I gather, you can't not limit your boost without possibly blowing the heads right off your truck or melting your engine, particularly when you haven't changed the way the truck breathes ie: intake/exhaust. Someone tell me if I'm out to lunch. Cheers! Brett

as long as you dont over boost it, it will be fine. i did this when i got my blazer. at first i was running 16-17 with 4 inch exhaust and intake. with my chip i started running 21-22 pounds. i ran this for about two months of hard driving before i found out it was bad. my motor is still fine and dandy. he says hes only running 10 pounds so thats no problem

Good improvement for most performance engines seems to be an intercooler but im not sure on the cost.

i just pieced one togethor from ebay for about $280 all brand new parts

moondoggie
07-13-2006, 07:59
Good Day!

"Many suggest a TDC-Offset of -1.94 as a good setting for power and efficiency. Would you explain a little more about this. I keep seeing it but am not sure what you do??? Is this a simple thing or does it have to be done by someone with equip." Since your truck is a 96, you need to have someone with a GM (Vetronix) Tech II set your TDC offset, last time I checked. There may be other brands that now are capable of setting TDC offset on OBDII trucks, but I'm unaware of them. Beware: a code scanner, even a sophisticated one, most likely does NOT have this capability. Don't buy anything for yourself without being absolutely sure it will do the TDC offset. (The last time I shopped a Tech II a couple years ago, they were ~ $2500.00; maybe that's changed.) On the other hand, you almost certainly have a local diesel shop with one of these that will set this to whatever number you want for $50 - $75.

There used to be a really long topic about TDC offset, & I searched & can't find it. The conclusion I came to is TDC offset is there to compensate, at least partially, for timing chain "stretch." When we adjust our trucks for -1.94 TDC offset, what we're actually doing is advancing the timing ~ 5 deg, which shows up as -1.94 TDC offset. This is the most advanced timing the PCM will allow, at least for my 95 trucks; some newer ones will allow (I think) -2.02; can't remember what year.

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

KallyI
07-13-2006, 08:17
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=2049

moondoggie
07-13-2006, 10:55
Good Day!

That'd be the one. I don't get it - I searched the 6.5TD forums for TDC & offset & didn't find it; I'll have to try again when time allows.

Hey - look at my number of posts!

Blessings!

jon6.5
07-14-2006, 22:16
i have a Tech II,(its really my dads but he owns a multi million dollar shop, so he has all that stuff) havent used it yet but i will next weekend set it back to -1.94 and im taking it for a 4.5" exahust kit tommorow and a air intake soon to follow

jon6.5
07-17-2006, 01:27
i did a intake on it today its a lil better now i still have the cash for the exahust but i cant bring myself to spend that much man

jon6.5
07-17-2006, 01:30
i found the best place for 6.5 upgreades they have chips exahust crazy lil boost fooler things they got it all there the only shop i can find that takes intrest in the 6.5, so i want to chip it eventually

moondoggie
07-17-2006, 09:57
Good Day!

I hope you don't mean cheap. If I can't buy stuff from JK, Heath, or equivalent, I go without. There are LOTS of things you can to do your truck that, if not done intelligently, will give you a short-term thrill & a long-term headache. (Kinda the story of life, eh? ;))

Blessings!

jon6.5
07-18-2006, 10:03
im pretty sure its quatity stuff well guys thatnks for what help you offered i apperiate it o and heres where my truck stands 4.5 exahust kit and air intake. Im gonna time it this weekend and it should be doing good. so -1.94 TDC is the best setting?from some one whom has used this setting how much does it help?

farmboy1989
07-18-2006, 10:23
Whats the mileage on that truck? If your bumping 200,000 , I would think that if the timing chain hasnt been replaced yet that the offset would do you some good. Im not sure what the mechanic set my timing at but it can make a world of difference from running average to running like new.

Bnave95
07-19-2006, 02:31
Per MP "I'd also recommend having the timing checked. Many suggest a TDC-Offset of -1.94 as a good setting for power and efficiency"

Would you explain a little more about this. I keep seeing it but am not sure what you do???
Is this a simple thing or does it have to be done by someone with equip.
Search TDC offset learn,TDC offset,TDC

jon6.5
07-19-2006, 21:29
my truck is a TDC offset of -1.09 would it be woth my while to move it to -1.94, i just used the tack II for the first time today man it tells you everything ?

JCM5
07-25-2006, 12:32
600 bucks!
1st
Take off the Muffellor
Take off the Cat (suit trap)
Replace with 3" pipe from local auto store

2nd
Replace thermostat with hi flow brand 180F

3rd
Boost sensor gauge and rheostat from Kennedy - biggest cost
set it at 13psi full throttle under load

4th
Dont really like and may or may not help is to drill holes in you air box on the inlet side of the cleaner, large as possible