PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brakes

Jomar
07-11-2006, 10:40
I was trying to adjust the parking brakes on my truck and noticed the axle seal was leaking. Took off the calipher and rotor and the drum, yes drum as in drum brakes, had a lot of diff. fluid in it. Didn`t know the parking brakes were drum type. Replaced the seal and was wondering if anyone had adjusted their parking brakes and how tight should they be. I didn`t have hardly any resistants in the foot lever and it wouldn`t even hold the truck while in gear.

Jomar

More Power
07-12-2006, 14:51
The book has you measure the inside diameter of the rotor (parking brake drum), then adjust the shoe (while measuring the outside diameter of the shoe), to provide a clearance of 0.026").

Bascially, you'll need to adjust the shoe so it's close but doesn't drag when the rotor is rotated.

Jim

Willcoc
07-14-2006, 09:29
Does the parking brake "self adjust" during usage or is the only adjustment done with the rotor removed?

Jomar
07-15-2006, 20:29
Purple Sheep Farmer, ( there has to be a story for this name )
No the parking brakes do not self adjust. You have to take out a rubber plug on the back side of the backing plate and adjust them just like we used to do with the old drum brakes. You have to take the right rear tire off to get to that side for the adjustment. I used a standard drum brake adjusting tool.

M.P. Thanks a lot. I just tighten them up and then back off til they didn`t rub.

Jomar

Willcoc
07-24-2006, 10:02
I do have the drum brake adjust tool so won't be a problem getting them adjusted.

long story on the name but makes for some strange comments.