PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Loss, Heads or Block ???

rjwest
01-07-2006, 05:40
Oil analysis shows 00.05 % coolant in the oil sample. ( approx 10 oz loss in 5K miles )
Also Aluminum PPM has increased ( 13 )

1996 K3500, "141" casting 128K miles, prevous Oil analysis " very good "

As I understand from forum, Coolant in oil is
head gasket or block cracks, Most likly
block cracks,

? Is there any other areas to consider for coolant
in oil. ?

? Is the block more suspect, based on Alu being high ?

High can I verify Block vs Heads ? do I have to
pull the pan ( Real pain on 4x4 )?

The truck is in very good condition, drives Very good ( better than a 2005 3/4 Dmax )),
Really don't know what to do, as my doing work is limited by comunity I live in ( plus age )

I am guessing 10 k for a Reman installed,
That is more than truck is worth, Thought of
trading or selling, but really feel bad giving someone else my problems,

Any good mechanics in NE Florida ?????

Kennedy
01-07-2006, 06:40
Being a 141 block it is less likely to break the block from below, BUT it is still anybodies guess.

With the small qty I would also think more along the lines of upper end entry.

Could even be (less likely) front cover entry.

rjwest
01-07-2006, 13:50
Thanks John, I'm finger crossing,,,

Can you explain 'front cover' leak,
Also, Is there a way to determine head gasket leak
without pulling Heads,

Anyone ever ' borescope ' a Truck engine...
is it possible on a 6.5,

Dvldog 8793
01-07-2006, 14:31
Only speaking from my experience... I used about 1 gallon collant every 100-150 miles. In other words, oil testing really wasnt needed! :D I had the typical cracked block in the back piston oilers. After looking at some blocks in the junk yard and seeing similar cracks in all of them I would tend to agree with JK in that your leak is coming from someplace else. I found my leak by presure testing(18psi for 8hr) the block and then checking the oil at the drain plug. When I tore down the engine I was amazed at the pristine condition of the inards. I've rebuilt a few gassers with less miles and they looked WAY worse. Anyways, Good luck RJ! Where at in FL?
L8r
Conley

marktara
01-07-2006, 18:48
Dvldog 8793, so were you getting coolant in your oil after the 8hr pressure test and what other things was your engine doing to make you suspect a cracked block?

Dvldog 8793
01-07-2006, 18:55
Howdy
My engine started to consume coolant at the rate of a about 1 gallon per 100-150 miles. Due to the nature of the long-life coolant, the oil level never got noticably higher. the first test that I did was the pressure test and when I cracked the drain plug and SLOWLY opened it(after letting it sit for an hour) the first drop to come out was water. when I opened up the engine the valve covers, CDR, oil pan, and most everything else were covered with black oil/antifreeze pudding. A freind of mine told me that the new antifreeze was made to mix with oil so that if you di have a NON-critical contamination it wouldn't take out the bearings in the motor.
Hope this helps
L8r
Conley

BTW My truck ran great, had no steam in the tailpipe and had NO other symptoms other than the coolant loss.

rjschoolcraft
01-07-2006, 19:18
Originally posted by rjwest:
Can you explain 'front cover' leak,
The water pump bolts to the front cover. Passages in the front cover carry coolant to the block. This means that there are two splitlines where coolant can leak into the oil.

rjwest
01-08-2006, 05:32
Dvldog - JAX not far from NAS JAX

Thanks all for replys,

Along with leak, Higher ALUminum in oil,
Any Idea where it would come from,
Maybe 2 problems,?

Note, Engine has a 'Thunk' , idles good
runs good, Cylinder balance test good,
just makes thunking noise ( not to load )
sounds like a gas 350 engine at idle wih the same cadence. ,

Dvldog 8793
01-08-2006, 07:44
Howdy
Sometimes metal particles can be due to bearing failure. If you have a knock maybe you had some antifreeze contamnation that got a bearing. :(
I would think there would be other types of metal also??? maybe copper??? Someone else out here probably knows better than I. I spent 2 years as a kid in JAX when my stepdad was building the AB brewery.
I used to fish/crab in the swamps north of town(probably not even there anymore...)
L8r
COnley

rjwest
01-08-2006, 12:36
I have the oil analysis in PDF, if anyone is interested, It shows 5 sampls/analysis
over the last 25k miles,

2 items: 1, the last 4.5k miles is with a TDC of
-1.8, Oil Analysis really went bad
in last sample,

2. Also used Rottella sync, last sample
and 2nd previous, there was a slight
negative differance in first try at
sync oil and really bad last try..

I do not know how to post the analyssi results
but would be glad to if I could, or email to
anyone interested,
qwestav at attglobal dot net