PDA

View Full Version : Questions about putting a 6.5L turbo on a 6.2L diesel

smoky1
07-12-2006, 18:55
I have an 89 GMC 2500 4x4 Suburban 6.2L diesel I've had since new. I've gotten ahold of a turbo
off a 96 GM 6.5L diesel that I want to put on my 6.2I have the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and the turbo. My questions are this:
What does the drop tube that comes off the turbo hook to? Does it go back into my existing exhaust? I don't have the air intake box off the 6.5. Would aftermarket, such as KN, be better than original equipment or should I do something different? The turbo has a waste gate actuator. How do I control it? The intake off the 6.5 does not have a place for my crankcase ventilation. What do I do about that? The drop tube ID is about 2 1/2" on the turbo, but my exhaust going back is only about 2". Did the 6.5 have dual exhausts or single?
My 89 has never been back to a dealer and is perfect, doesn't use or leak any oil. It has 185,000 miles. I've never replaced a glow plug or injector. I plan on putting in new glow plugs...what about the injectors? If you recommend putting in injectors, what about rebuilt?
I'd appreciate any help you can give me on these questions. I haven't started the project yet and want to have all the pertinent information before I start. Thanks again.

JeepSJ
07-13-2006, 00:16
I'll jump in here and help a bit.

First, ALL of your exhaust goes through the turbo. The left bank(driver's side) connects into the back of the right side (turbo side) manifold. All exhaust is routed through the turbine and out through the back of the turbo. Follow the links in my sig and you will see some pics of what I'm describing.

Intake - you will get lots of opinions. I'm fabbing something custom that will have an open element, such as a K&N. (however, after monitoring IAT on my gasser for a few days, I am rethinking that...).

Crankcase ventilation needs to connect into the intake between the filter and the turbo inlet - do NOT connect it to the manifold.

Wastegate - A TurboMaster from Kennedy would probably be the best way to go.

Exhaust - I would switch to at least a 3". Single pipe now, from the turbo all the way back.

Injectors - should be OK. You will want to increase the fuel delivery from the pump to take advantage of all that new air you will be stuffing into those cylinders.

All that being said, you are going to have problems getting all this to fit with your stock heater box. Search these forums and there are a couple ways around it. My solution was to remove it and go with a complete underdash aftermarket heat/ac unit.

Try posting this up in the 6.2 forum - you will get many more responses.

smoky1
07-13-2006, 14:44
Jeep Freak,
Thank you for the reply to my questions. I had no idea the left bank connected to the right bank exhaust with a crossover and all exhaust went thru the turbo. As far as the waste gate actuator on my turbo, I'm still not sure what controls it. I guess a vacuum line hooks to it, but where does the vacuum come from? There's a vacuum pump on my engine but that would either keep it fully closed or open all the time. Thanks again for your help...I do appreciate it.
Smoky1

JeepSJ
07-13-2006, 18:43
IIRC, the TurboMaster from Kennedy eliminates the vacuum control.

Guipo
08-15-2006, 14:21
The vaccum control in your year is computer controlled I think. You should get the Kennedy or build your own boost controller. Make sure when you install it you also install a boost guage and a EGT Guage.

You will need to have a crossover made, a downpipe hooked up. You need a special connector to hook the turbo to the downpipe. You need to turn up your fuel, you need to resolve how to get the oil back in your engine.

for the CCV, thats what made me get rid of my last engine. I lot the rear main as I forgot to install one. If you do a search for oil pipes, my CUCV had one that branched off that would be a good fit for you. You can just let that belch off into atmo if you wanted to.(see trevor).

I'm not sure about the injectors on the 89, but my 85 had too tall of injectors. they actually hit the Exaust manifold where the turbo comes up. You have 2 options at that point. You can build a spacer in between your engine and your exaust manifold, or you can buy a short injector and carefully bend your stainless lines. Thats what I did in my previous setup.

Make sure that you also make the oil return hearty. Mine didnt flow enough back into the engine and my turbo leaked oil because at higher RPM's it would get overloaded. Also dont use rubber tubing, it will swell and cut off flow when the engine gets hot.

I think the 89 is the newer body styles for the Sub. but if its the old body style, you will need to lift the engine several inched to install the manifold. I have no idea if thats the case with the older body style.

Any other questions?

I'm selling most of the stuff you need for the install, but it sounds like you already have your things. :)

Guipo