PDA

View Full Version : Ran DMax Out of Fuel

jsmiracle
07-12-2006, 19:49
Long story.....but, pulled into a fuel station and left the engine running to measure the fuel pressure at a near empty fuel tank. The engine quit while I was installing the fuel pressure guage!:o I filled the tank and tried to start, but it would not. I bled the post-OEM fuel filter and restarted the engine.

Should I be concerned about anything?:confused: I leave for a 800 mi. round trip tomorrow pulling a 9000 lb. TT. Thanks.

Jim M.

More Power
07-13-2006, 08:56
You might bleed the air again, but you'll not likely have any further problem. These systems are capable of dealing with air in situations like you described.

You'll be OK... :)

Jim

jsmiracle
07-17-2006, 13:44
The trip mentioned above went extremely well.:) Ask, if you want details. We basically went to SW Michigan from Central Ky (~800mi roundtrip). No overheat problems. EGT's were low to respectable. Weather was low to mid 90's.

I plan to bleed the fuel system for air again today and recheck fuel pressure. Thanks for the comment.

Jim M.

DmaxMaverick
07-17-2006, 13:54
You may not have actually ran out of fuel. With a near empty tank, your fuel suction/transfer pump is at its most vulnerable. When you installed your gage, it probably got a gulp of air, causing the pump to lose prime. Been there. Done that. Maybe next time, shut down until after you get the gage hooked up, and give the primer a few pumps just for good measure.

Like MP said, not to worry. I've "dried up" the pump for various reasons at least a hundred times on my '01, now with over 100K on it. Never any problems after.

jsmiracle
07-21-2006, 18:20
[QUOTE=DmaxMaverick]You may not have actually ran out of fuel... When you installed your gage, it probably got a gulp of air, causing the pump to lose prime. QUOTE]

DMaxMaverick, I believe that is exactly what happened because the truck only took 25.0 gal to completely fill it. I was surprised that it seemed to run out of fuel. I had anticipated at least 26.0 gal. of fuel to fill it from empty. Anyway, I will take your recommendation should I find myself in a similar situation again. Thanks again.

Jim M.

DmaxMaverick
07-21-2006, 19:54
Good deal.

Mine will take about 26-1/2 gals from empty to the nozzle kicking off. I can get nearly 28 gals in if I top it off.

Driveshaft
07-23-2006, 17:32
I once fueled up 18 wheeler with gauge on empty for the last 70 miles, left truck running while I fueled and then went inside to pay, came back truck was dead. It had pulled air bubbles in while it was low. I just reprimed and went on.

On the '01 I have put in only 33.5 gals in the 34 gal tank. Got lucky I guess, but I did shut it down while I was fueling.