PDA

View Full Version : trans cooler

Herman_Bolger
07-13-2006, 19:17
After looking into our overheating problem, I found that we do not have a trans cooler?? Of course we are going to put one in, the question is, do we run a large cooler by itself, through the rad first, or through the cooler first then through the rad??
I was thinking of mounting the cooler below the bumper so not to put any additional heat from the trand cooler through the rad,makes sense?

Herman

DA BIG ONE
07-14-2006, 02:42
I'm guessing under normal conditions your truck would not need an additional cooler being way up yonder. However, If then need is there then one with a thermostat & fan will be best and most costly. Running it through radiator is not a bad thing if your cooling system is in good working order. The additional factory coolers are mounted in front of radiator on pass/side.

B&M makes one which I use here in the subtropics.

Herman_Bolger
07-16-2006, 08:38
If only I had a $ for everyone that thought we live in igloo's up yonder, I could by a new D-max and not worry about this old girl!!!!!!!
As I write this it's 11.30 am and 88 F with a high today of 95 f. with 78% humidity, it's frik'n hot.
Anyway it's always good for a laugh, but I was thinking of running a large cooler low as not to put any more stress on the cooling system. The cooler with it's own t-stat seems like a good idea, i'll call our local speed shop and see what they have.
Thanks, in the sub tropics

Herman

damork
07-21-2006, 19:43
I use the Tru-Cool H7B shown here, which is made by the same supplier who provides the OEM coolers for GM & possibly for B&M as well.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=tru-cool-ind

Mounted where the OEM trans cooler is located, I have not exceeded 175F pan temperature with no negative impact to engine temp (running 97+ cooling setup with 180F thermostats)

Bnave95
07-22-2006, 02:19
After looking into our overheating problem, I found that we do not have a trans cooler?? Of course we are going to put one in, the question is, do we run a large cooler by itself, through the rad first, or through the cooler first then through the rad??
I was thinking of mounting the cooler below the bumper so not to put any additional heat from the trand cooler through the rad,makes sense?

Herman
Truck's with front mounted trans cooler,stock. The fluid runs to the Rad. first then to the cooler,back to the trany.

HowieE
07-22-2006, 07:02
I have aways taken a slightly different approach. I run the trans fluid through a thermostaticly controlled fan driven cooler mounted under the truck and then through the factory cooler mounted forward of the radiator, removing the radiator from thr system altogeather. The thermostate is set for 165 and I have rapped it in insulation to be sure it is seeing fluid temperature only.

This results in operating temperatures of 160 in summer while the convertor is locked and down as low as 100 in winter. With this system trans temperature is set by the air flow off the engine while the convertor is locked and rises above the air flow temperature, and calls for fan driven cooleing, only when the convertor is unlocked.

On my 87 Sub I would cover the factory cooler in winter and run just against the fanned cooler. It's just to hard to get to the factory cooler on the 97 so I run a cold trans in winter. For those who do live in igloos I would suggest you consider some action for winter because running below 100 degrees realy prolongs the warn up time and shifting pattern.

Herman_Bolger
07-22-2006, 10:24
I am going to check on putting a thermostaticly controlled cooler without running it through the rad, We do not normally run the truck from Nov-April anyway. I was just surprised that this 3500 4x4 dually did not have a factory trans cooler.
I removed the forward skid plate to install a new front axle actuator and figured that I really have no need for a skid plate, the hyway's are not that rough yet. Anyway, we are going to install an intercooler as well, and also thinking of locateing under the bumper were the skid plate used to be, next to the trans cooler.

Herman

Warren96
07-22-2006, 14:08
I did'nt know you could have an automatic transmission in a GM produuct without a cooler.Are you sure there isn't a connection to the radiator with metal pipes from the transmission?

Bnave95
07-23-2006, 04:29
I did'nt know you could have an automatic transmission in a GM produuct without a cooler.Are you sure there isn't a connection to the radiator with metal pipes from the transmission?
Could it be because it does not have the 4l80E? Not sure what came in a 93?

Herman_Bolger
07-23-2006, 20:25
OOOPS, let me clarify, we have the cooler that is in the rad, but we do not have the external cooler that is usually mounted in front of the rad. All automatic transmissions must have an oil cooler, but we only have the one that is in the rad. We have the 4l80e trans. What I am think of is eliminating the cooler that is in the rad and running through an external trans cooler only, mounted below the bumper , that way the heat from the trans cooler will not have to flow through the rad.

Herman

ronniejoe
07-23-2006, 20:32
One good reason to keep the radiator trans cooler is for winter driving. It actually warms the trans quicker.

All though, you said you don't use the truck in winter, so maybe it's a moot point.

Herman_Bolger
07-23-2006, 20:49
I was just thinking that I probably work this truck a bit to hard to begin with, so I thought if I could keep the heat from the trans system seperate from the water cooling system that may help with any overheating of either the trans or engine system.
We do drive the truck occasionaly in the winter, but not usually, our busiest time is in the spring and fall, we do make a trip to the south once or twice during the winter, very little local driving.
We are this winter going to install the upgraded cooling mods. I had mentioned to another local 6.5 owner about installing a geardrive, and he had mentioned that could lead to crank or camshaft breakage, any truth to that??
Once we take the truck off the road this fall, we are looking to install, upgraded cooling, geardrive, turbo master, and intercooler. Anything else I should consider. We are also buying a tractor to pull our big boats around, it would look a little funny pulling a 20 or 25' boat with a big ass tractor though. Besides I like this truck??

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 03:36
I was just thinking that I probably work this truck a bit to hard to begin with, so I thought if I could keep the heat from the trans system seperate from the water cooling system that may help with any overheating of either the trans or engine system.
We do drive the truck occasionaly in the winter, but not usually, our busiest time is in the spring and fall, we do make a trip to the south once or twice during the winter, very little local driving.
We are this winter going to install the upgraded cooling mods. I had mentioned to another local 6.5 owner about installing a geardrive, and he had mentioned that could lead to crank or camshaft breakage, any truth to that??
Once we take the truck off the road this fall, we are looking to install, upgraded cooling, geardrive, turbo master, and intercooler. Anything else I should consider. We are also buying a tractor to pull our big boats around, it would look a little funny pulling a 20 or 25' boat with a big ass tractor though. Besides I like this truck??
No truth to the gear drive causing problems with crank or cam. Your plan with the upgrades will make a good towing PK.;) I would look into JK fan clutch/fan up grade also.
Any chance of making another rear end,air ride set up to market?

HowieE
07-24-2006, 06:36
As I mentioned earlier I removed the trans lines from the radiator and run my truck all winter under this condition. Yes the trans does not warm up as fast and will not shift normaly for the first mile because the accumulator just is slow to respond to the thicker oil.This has not produced a problem with 165.000 miles on the truck and at last 6 winters of operation.

I would question your idea of mounting the cooler under the bumper. In this location you will have No Airflow over the cooler while at idle or lower road speeds.

A bigger and all to ofter overlooked problem with keeping the 6.5 cool is the condition of the radiator, AC condenser and oil coolers with respect to Bugs and Leaves. The way the AC condenser is mounted with respect to the body sheet metal leaves can accumulate between it and the radiator, out of site, and block off a percentage of the radiator. My truck, when I bought it with 33,000 miles, had at least 20% of the radiator blocked with leaves in the lower left corner. I have designed and installed screening to prevent this, see my web site.

Herman_Bolger
07-24-2006, 07:31
I did not consider the air flow at idle problem, I may go with a cooler that has it's own fan, that has been sugested already.
No chance in getting into producing an air ride to market, but I could give you the dimensions or maybe template it for you, and you could have a local welding shop fab one up for you, it's not that complicated.

JohnC
07-24-2006, 15:00
The TCC on the 4L80E will not lock up until the trans reaches normal temperatures. I the winter this could be a problem.

jspringator
07-25-2006, 07:24
I have a fan-cooler under my truck, too but I kept the radiator cooler to heat the fluid in the winter. It is pretty cool to hear the fan go off! Apparently temps go up when stopped (reduced airflow) because I hear mine startup after I have stopped (engine running) and am out of the truck.

Herman_Bolger
07-25-2006, 09:51
Thanks for your input, I think that I have decided to go with the stand alone cooler with it's own fan. Winter driving should not be a big issue beause we use the truck very little in the winter, and we could let it idle a little longer to get it up to temp.

Thanks for your opinions

Herman

Billy V
07-25-2006, 23:30
My 93 dually came without the external tranny cooler. I added the factory cooler after I bought it. Fluid passes through the radiator first then out to the cooler in front and back into the trans.

Bnave95
07-26-2006, 03:41
Thanks for your input, I think that I have decided to go with the stand alone cooler with it's own fan. Winter driving should not be a big issue beause we use the truck very little in the winter, and we could let it idle a little longer to get it up to temp.

Thanks for your opinions

Herman
Even in the winter I'm sure your truck sets in a warm area.