PDA

View Full Version : Key set limp mode?

adamcortell
01-07-2006, 18:00
My wife dorve the truck this morning. She said it was reving up 3300 rpm (40 mph) without a shift. Limp mode in other words. She reported a similar problem months ago. I drive the truck 99% of the time and have never had this problem. I was wracking my brain trying to come up with an explanation. She thought perhaps she was missing some anatomy that the truck prefered... It struck me that I use the original key and she uses a hardware store remake. Is there any way a poor fitting key could set the truck in limp mode? Tomorrow morning I will start the truck cold with her key and see what happens. Any thoughts??

JohnC
01-09-2006, 11:23
Since the key doesn't directly operate the switch, I'd say no on the key. The switch is often the culpret, though. First thing to do is read the codes

Barry Nave
01-09-2006, 12:50
This takes me back many years ago after needing a trans rebuild. New rebuild would not get out of #2 gear untill warm. Even then it was really slow going to #3. Trans shop was stumped also. They went as far as to pull trans back out and found nothing wrong. The only cure came to be a product that JK sells called an Interceptor.
This was back before I became a member. Been using it sence with no problem.(at that time)
GM Dealer put blame on the shop. They(dealer) could not figure it out :rolleyes: This same shop has done this for 20+ years.
Way did this work :confused:
What if I would of went all through the grounds,cleaned all conectors. Who Knows now?
Don't use it now(interceptor) with the chip change. Did leave it on for a while but the shifts were to hard.
Try a good cleaning. May help ;)
BTW This was 90K miles ago.
Wow how the miles fly by :D

adamcortell
01-09-2006, 21:06
I tried my wife's key two times on a cold start and the truck started fine and shifted normally for me (of course). I knew the key thing was a long shot, but it is about the only variable I could think of other than seat position. She is not blond (I am) and she wasn't making it up.

My wife said she never saw the SES light come on. I pulled codes tonight and got #87 High Ratio Error. Same code came up last summer and was cleared after a new VSSB from stealership. No other codes and SES light has not come on. Also ignition switch was replaced by stealership at about 92k. Runs and shifts fine for me. I guess I will have to wait and see if this problem comes up again. Not sure if my wife will want to drive the truck anymore though!

JohnC
01-10-2006, 14:04
high ratio error means the PCM thought it was in a different gear than commanded. Could be a speed sensor or a slow shift. I'd try changing the fluid and filter if it hasn't been done recently.