PDA

View Full Version : 94 Scanner type recommendations needed

Splitrimz
01-08-2006, 06:09
As I look through the JC Whitney catalog, they list scanners and list the year Chevy Trucks to which they apply. I keep seeing a gap between 93 and 96. Further complicated by mentions of connectors like ALDL or OBD II. In addition there are statements regarding Generic and Manufacturer OBD codes.

Any suggestions on what specifications I need to evaluate to determine a good scanner for my '94 Chevy C3500 6.5TD? Is there anything else to consider after purchasing a scanner ie: code updates for this specific engine/truck setup?
Thanks.

Dvldog 8793
01-08-2006, 07:50
Howdy
As afar as I know, the 94 would be a OBDI (???). The reason for the gap in scan tools maybe that 94-95 was the transition years to the OBDII system. I have 2 95 caprices, one OBDI the other OBDII, go figure...
The connector will tell you what type of scan tool to get. I don't think the OBDI will tell you allot, The best tool to get for an OBDI is a good book of code lists. The generic codes are ones that are common to all OBD vehicles. The manufacture codes are normally more specific and can help you more but can be hard to find sometimes without the help of a dealer book. Whatever you get make sure you get best possible code list that you can as this will be the key.
L8r
Conley

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2006, 08:20
Dvldog is correct. Your '94 should be (is) OBD-I. ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) and OBD-II connectors are similar, but not interchangeable. I often refer to either, or both, as an ALDL, or OBD connector, which may be incorrect, but we all know what it means, or can explain it at the time. On our trucks, regardless of M/Y, they are all in the same general location, and similar in appearance.

You can pull codes on your '94 with a paper clip. The procedure and DTC list is HERE. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm)
This only allows the reading of codes, and isn't a 2-way communication (you can't "program" the computer this way). DO NOT try this on an OBD-II vehicle. Serious computer damage can result.

The OBD-II computers communicate through the connector with a data stream, and you need a scanner to read the codes, or upload/download data.

Splitrimz
01-08-2006, 12:32
Thanks for the replies, that cleared up a lot. OBD-I is certainly limited.

Splitrimz