PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Performance Bumpsticks

DA BIG ONE
07-14-2006, 16:38
Anyone using an aftermarket performance bumpstick in their 6.5td? If so, how about some feedback?

Patrick m.
07-14-2006, 17:20
dieseldummy had one till his 6.5L went down. im sure he will chime in shortly.

winemaker
07-14-2006, 18:10
For the benefit of the ignorant (yours truly) what is a bumpstick, please?

ronniejoe
07-14-2006, 20:09
"Bumpstick" = slang for "camshaft"

dieseldummy
07-14-2006, 20:15
At Patrick mentioned I had one. It was a Diesel Depot regrind. I beleive that the Egt's were cooler with it in my setup. I can't say that I felt a power increase. I do have a sneeking hunch that any "regrind" may be detrimental to the valve train in terms of extra slack the lifters have to take up. If we could find blanks of these cams and found someone who could experment with grinding them there could be some interesting possibilities IMO. I'd stick with a good stock unit if given the choice; infact that's what I did when I built my replacement motor.

grape
07-14-2006, 23:31
the blanks are not hard to find, every nascar legal chevy has 55mm cam bearings and uses a billet blank.........every cam grinder has them, they just aren't the cheapest things in the world.

DA BIG ONE
07-15-2006, 04:44
Perhaps, one of you in the know can chime in as to what grind would be the best for our 6.5's for street performance?

There's no doubt that some of you here have lot's to contribute herein.

grape
07-15-2006, 09:56
Perhaps, one of you in the know can chime in as to what grind would be the best for our 6.5's for street performance?

There's no doubt that some of you here have lot's to contribute herein.

that's the big question, nobody knows exactly what the perfect upgrade is because the market for such products hasn't presented itself. The stock cam may work better than anything we are trying. The only knowledge base i had for diesel camshaft grinds was our cam grinder has a couple of employees that pull in superstock tractor competition, however a straight six turning 6 grand with over 100 pounds of boost shares little with a 6.5, but it's the only info i could find.

the other thing i've found is that my camshaft isn't much different from the DD regrind on the intake side, yet without retarding the cam it gets REEEEL close to the piston. I have no doubt that with the 2 degrees advance built in the gear drive sets sold on the market, it will touch.