PDA

View Full Version : Dooley tires touching?

Albee
07-14-2006, 20:24
I put 235/85/16 tires on my 06 dooley. I hooked up my 5 er today and the rear tires touch each other. Tire guy said they would not touch with 5K on them. Anyone else running this size tire and hauling heavy weights and not having tire touching issues? If so, what tire you runnin? Thanks.

Heartbeat Hauler
07-14-2006, 20:49
I put 235/85/16 tires on my 06 dooley. I hooked up my 5 er today and the rear tires touch each other. Tire guy said they would not touch with 5K on them. Anyone else running this size tire and hauling heavy weights and not having tire touching issues? If so, what tire you runnin? Thanks.First, how much tire pressure are you running, and are they "E" rated tires? If you check the spacing with stock tires, there isn't much to begin with and 235's are .6" wider.

Some guys running this size tire say they don't have rubbing with any kind of weight on, and they are running over 70 psi of air. 235's in an "E" rating can go up to 80 psi, but I wouldn't push it that high...maybe 75psi. I am going to run a set of 235 "E" rated Michelin LTX m&s on mine, but I already bought the spacers.

235's worked well on the old style rim (2000 & earlier duallys) because I believe there was a bit more offset. I had'em on my '94 dually and they worked great, no rubbing.
JP

Albee
07-15-2006, 05:48
They are Big O XT tires. They are E rated and I have 75 psi in them. Where did you get your wheel spacers and how much are they? Thanks for the input.

Heartbeat Hauler
07-15-2006, 11:02
They are Big O XT tires. They are E rated and I have 75 psi in them. Where did you get your wheel spacers and how much are they? Thanks for the input.
Man! if you are running "E" rated tires at 75 psi, you've done as much as you can. I have heard that the BFG A/T KO has very stiff side walls and they don't rub, but I wouldn't bet on it. I will be using wheel spacers from Fred Goesky he is a great guy to talk to and he is willing to answer your questions as to what you need, at least he was that way with me. I paid about 300 bucks delivered to the door for mine. They are aluminum, 2" thick, and have their own wheel studs. You put your inside wheel on then the adapters and use the lug nuts that come with the adapters to hold that together, then put the outside wheel on the spacer studs and use factory lugs to hold the outside wheel on. And they are hubcentric so no loosening during use. Here is the website: http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp
JP

spongebob
07-15-2006, 12:31
when ever the tires touched on my dually it was because there wasnt enough wind in the tires..hard to believe the E tires are doing this..

Jackmchome
07-15-2006, 14:39
I might be wrong, but, I thought the dually wheels were not rated for over
60# pressure. ??

Heartbeat Hauler
07-15-2006, 22:20
when ever the tires touched on my dually it was because there wasnt enough wind in the tires..hard to believe the E tires are doing this..
Yeah, but he is running 75psi, that is way more than needed, unless reaching max weight. The real problem is the lack of offset GM took out of the wheels on the new body dsign (2001 & up).

I might be wrong, but, I thought the dually wheels were not rated for over
60# pressure. ??
"E" rated tires that come stock on the duallies are rated for 80psi, I don't know exactly what the air pressure rating is on the wheel itself, but on my driver's side door sticker it says run 70 psi front 65 rear (I'm gonna check that for sure in the morning). But I run 65 in the duals and 68 in the fronts. When I'm towing I run 70 all around.
JP