PDA

View Full Version : Grease powered suburban

formflier
07-15-2006, 07:17
I'm going to convert a 99 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel suburban to be able to run waste vegetable oil. Looking to talk with those that have experience and also talk to those that could play "devils advocate". Most sites about this only talk about the positives and don't go much into the downsides. Maybe there aren't any. ?? :)

moondoggie
07-18-2006, 10:32
Good Day!

I'd try re-posting on the 6.5L Turbo Diesel forum. You're more likely to get responses there. I'd also do some searches there, or the Member's Forum. There are not a lot of DP members running WVO or biodiesel, but there are some, & all are willing to help.

Personally, I usually reserve Dr. Lee's forum for deep technical issues that his tremendous knowledge & experience can help with. I'm certain he'll post a reply if he has specific knowledge about this subject, but his company keeps him pretty busy & sometimes he can't reply as we or he would like.

Blessings!

DmaxMaverick
07-18-2006, 13:23
Moved to the 6.5L Forum.

Good luck!

Kennedy
07-18-2006, 13:31
Larry H has a grease powered Sub. I've had a lot of referrals for FSD cooler pkgs from Greasecar.com Ask for Lee.

4inchsnappy
07-19-2006, 08:26
i've converted my 3/4 ton sub to run on wvo. i installed a frybrid kit. I'm quite pleased, took a little to learn the system and work out kinks. You must source your wvo first and develop a system of collection filtering etc. Handleing the grease without a good system can be a drag, messy etc. Also I drive a lot. Longer trips seem better suited for grease, short stop and start driving is better for bio diessel in my opinion. i've learned alot in the process fell free to PM me, i've got some photos etc.

JSteward
09-07-2006, 19:08
I concur with the thread poster. PLEASE someone play devil's advocate. I've been reading up on this and can find NOTHING portraying any negative consequences of running off grease. These motors weren't designed to run off vegetable oil... seems like there must be some consequence. Otherwise, we'd quit giving terrorists billons of dollars to develop bombs to use on ourselves. Are there any mechanics who have broken down an engine and found gunk buildup or something?

Thanks

Stratosurfer
09-09-2006, 12:43
I've been running a 'blend' of filtered/dewatered (high quality) WVO and diesel at a 95% WVO to 5% diesel ratio here in the Heart of Texas and have had no issues. I have ran 100% WVO a couple times as a test and both trucks run great. I am only approaching about nine months of doing this.
I HAVE A SINGLE TANK SYSTEM! I don't use any preheat!
I have studied this in-depth and honestly will not go in to a War and Peace length discussion except that it works. My only modification has been my filtration which I had a stock filter converted to a 'carbon-black' element that the WVO won't swell; that's all I've done.
Granted it is very hot down here all summer, and I do fear my ratio in my blending will have to go up this winter, probably 70/30 or 80/20 WVO to diesel.
Now I must make a BIG distinction, I run WASTE VEGETABLE OIL, I have -never- run grease. We need to be very clear on what we are talking about here as technically the long term health of our engines are at stake. I use oil -only- from restaraunts that use soy oil and that has -no- solid grease floating in it.
This is the key, a 2 tank system is necessary if you desire to run the junk oil mixed with animal lard from McDonalds. I have no experience here, but tell that my trucks both run smoother, seem to have -more- power and smell wonderfully like smokey barbaque resturaunt kitchen when I shut down.

farmerherb
09-11-2006, 19:55
I have read alot of posts on several forums, trucks and Biodiesel. And there are two concerns to me, one water suspended in the WVO and the thickness of WVO compared to diesel. The newer diesel engines produce very high pressures at the injectors, I have read many concerns about WVO cutting injector lives in half. The only engines I read that seem to love WVO for thousands of miles are the older Mercedes and VW 80-87. If you do a simple calculation of your MPG and the costs of Diesel then the cost of a new or rebuilt pump, then you'll know how much WVO you'll have to use to a least pay for the pump. I saw a woman on the greasecar forum using WVO in her 2003 TDI Jetta, at 50MPG she will have to drive 40,000+ miles on WVO to pay for the IP in her car. So I would only want to hear from people who can say I've driven 50,000 miles on WVO with no problems.

Stratosurfer
09-11-2006, 20:35
I have read alot of posts on several forums, trucks and So I would only want to hear from people who can say I've driven 50,000 miles on WVO with no problems.

Farmerherb brings a very legitimate issue to the table. So much of what I and others are engaged in is 'experimental', and only time will tell if our research, forethought and planning will pay off. I believe that I myself will be interested in how things turn out at 100K miles from starting this adventure.
I must add that I do run petro-diesel when my sources of WVO are low so I won't be a good reference at 100k miles of a rig that went the distance solely on plant oil.
My oil however in my processing 'plant' is transformed essentially to SVO or 'as new' virgin oil with 0% water: I heat it, crack and double filter it: a laborious process. Time will tell, but so far so good.
Honestly I was fascinated as a child when I did a research paper on Rudolf Diesel and his engine and how he designed it from the beginning to run on plant oil! I have never forgotten this.
So no matter what, Rudolf would be proud of me! At least I'm givin' it a go.