PDA

View Full Version : Bobie Martin....

Dvldog 8793
01-09-2006, 05:57
Howdy
Did you at one time convert your truck to sealed beam headlights? or am I confused as normal???? ;)
L8r
Conley

Bobbie Martin
01-09-2006, 06:06
Yes I did convert our Suburban to sealed beams. As to if you are confused or not, well I just can't say! :D
This is not the the best picture, but this is the Suburban with the sealed beams (actually Cibie e code so technically not "sealed beams")
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/40/40448/pages/94285/sub.jpg

Dvldog 8793
01-09-2006, 06:12
Roger that on the confusion issue, I'm sure my kids will set me straight! tongue.gif
I was think that you had done it with the smaller individual lights from an early year truck. I'm just looking for a way to get seperate adjustment of the high and low beams. How do you like you lights after having them for awhile?
Thanks for the reply
L8r
Conley

Bobbie Martin
01-09-2006, 12:40
How do you like you lights after having them for awhile?They are great. The bulbs don't last forever and lately I've been running 55W H4s from the local parts house. They do OK (much better than the composite lights) but I like them better with 100w bulbs!

patrick m.
01-10-2006, 16:33
my poor teuck came with the two sealed beams, a few months back i bought some "sylvania silverstar" lamps, and they are fantastic.
like nite and day ;)

jspringator
01-10-2006, 17:31
How did you convert your composite wiring to sealed beam wiring (2 into 1 for both sides)? Tell me there is an easy pigtail! Were the turn signal and little lamps beside the headlights simply a plug in conversion?

Bobbie Martin
01-10-2006, 19:02
Originally posted by James Springate:
How did you convert your composite wiring to sealed beam wiring (2 into 1 for both sides)? Tell me there is an easy pigtail! Were the turn signal and little lamps beside the headlights simply a plug in conversion? No plug in, I just rewired it with 10 gage (overkill, but I had it already) wire and 2 relays. One for low beams, one for high. You can get all the plugs, relays, etc. and find wiring diagrams Here. (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/) Its not really hard and you will be shocked (no pun intended) at how small the factory wires are. You can reuse the turn signals with no problems. There is one extra wire left over for a marker light the composite grille has that the SB grille does not. If you are going with Cibie lamps, get the one with the internal parking light and use the wire for those bulbs.

jspringator
01-10-2006, 22:55
I already have Kennedy's headlight relay kit. All I need to do (Iguess , is cut out the 2 light plugs and splice them into a single plug for the e-codes. Where do I get the plug for the e-codes?

Bobbie Martin
01-11-2006, 06:27
Yes, you should be able to use the Kennedy harness and install new ends for the Cibies. Daniel Stern, OJ Rallye or most any place that sells the lamps will have the plugs (made for large gauge wire) you are looking for. Just to clarify my earlier post, you have to change the turn signal lenses if you change the grille, but your existing bulb holders will fit the new lenses with no modifications needed.

jspringator
01-11-2006, 13:47
Did you get the headlight buckets from a vendor, junkyard, or dealer? Are these lights 150 mm or 200 mm?

Kennedy
01-11-2006, 14:55
If anyone is interested, I think I have 2 pr of Hella large Rectangular high performance housings. I don't think they are DOT certified, but they'll accept the 130 and 100W Phillips bulbs :eek:

jspringator
01-11-2006, 16:16
I am. You have my E-mail address. Please price them to me.

Bobbie Martin
01-11-2006, 17:54
Originally posted by James Springate:
Did you get the headlight buckets from a vendor, junkyard, or dealer? Are these lights 150 mm or 200 mm? I got them from a junkyard. I had the buckets powder coated and bought new springs and adjusters from the dealer. There are also 2 small tabs that fit into the rad support you will need. They are for 2 screws the sealed beam grille uses that the composite lamp grille does not. The lamps are 200 mm.

Kennedy
01-12-2006, 07:34
http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/PDF/Headlamps.pdf

Page 4?Halogen Conversion Headlamps Part # 72206

These are represented by the second pic from the top I believe. I'll have to check.

[ 01-12-2006, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]