PDA

View Full Version : Waste Crankcase Oil As Fuel

CCR91
07-16-2006, 12:51
Here is a new one I have not heard of:
I changed my oil at a community shop and noticed a guy with a Powerstroke pouring his used crankcase oil back into the empty containers instead of the big, waste oil container. I though nothing of it.

After I change mine and was carrying it to the waste oil container he asked if he could have it. I gave it to him and asked what he used it for.

He said he burns it as fuel. He has a 100 gallon tank in the bed and puts in a couple of gallons of waste crankcase oil to burn as fuel. A few gallons diluted in a 100 gallon tanks saves about $10 per tank and he has had no problems.

I don't think I am about to try this but thought it would be an interesting topic.

Corey

Mark Rinker
07-16-2006, 19:27
Wouldn't do it to my truck. Can't help but think there are particles in there and potentially sludge that could plug the fuel filter. Clean new oil added to improve fuel lubricity is one thing, worn out soot laden oil is another.

Besides, isn't this similar to how the whole Mad Cow disease thing got started? :)

David Proske
07-16-2006, 20:30
This is one issue I could never understand. We change our oil because it is DIRTY. Why the heck would people want to dump it in their fuel? Espically since we are concerned about dirty fuel causing injector problems.

dieseldummy
07-16-2006, 20:47
A lot of people filter it, process it somehow, and burn it. I wouldn't do it on an electronic 6.5, Powerstroke, Dmax, or electronic Cummins. The DB2 equiped 6.2/6.5, DB2 equiped 6.9/7.3, and VE or P7100 equiped Cummins would all take it ok though.

redrider#1
07-17-2006, 09:02
Besides, isn't this similar to how the whole Mad Cow disease thing got started? :)[/QUOTE]

LOL......Mark you got it right, and if a person thinks they need to dump used motor oil full of who knows what into their fuel tank to save a measley $10 per tank then they can't afford a $40-50K vehicle in the first place, imho.

mark45678
07-17-2006, 18:00
great way to foul a good set of injectors ! if it was the last 3000 miles I wanted out of a truck I would run it on drail oil but seeing how much a set of common rail injectors cost I dont think I will own a truck thats out of warrenty never mind the last 3000 miles!