PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Humvee replica

Robyn
07-17-2006, 08:14
All is going smooth.
Over this weekend I got a few more custom steel items finished and welded on, the most significant being the mount for the hood assembly.
The tilt hood is all on now and looks great. The imediate plan is to get everything roughed in and the beast running and then go back and detail the body finish and such.
The next project is to get the inner wheel house assemblies built and installed.
For anyone new I am building a Badlands R/T Humvee replica and its getting a little GM diesel from an 84 Blazer. Originally the plan called for a 6.5 TD but the engine I had on the string for the project turned out to be junk. I did get all the serp drive stuff off of it though and its going on the 6.2 from the Blazer. One nice thing for sure is that a 6.5 can easily be installed later when time and $$$$ permits.

Here is a shot from the front just before I started mounting the hood.

moondoggie
07-17-2006, 09:58
Good Day!

You are having WAY too much fun. ;)

Blessings!

Robyn
07-17-2006, 18:18
ME? Tooooooooooooo Much Fun!!!
Naw not possible.
Well I have always loved a project. The last project I had of substance was when I rebuild a GreyHound bus and built me a motor home. Been a few years back but now I tell you That was a project. Yeah Buddy.
40 ft MCI coach with a big detroit in it. Gawd what a job that was.
Almost got me dissowned from the human race that one did.

bmiszuk
07-19-2006, 07:48
Thanks for the update, I've been wondering how it's going. Didn't you have a webpage with more pictures of the conversion?

Robyn
07-19-2006, 08:08
yes
The complete build is featured at h1forum.com
Go to the hummer replica showcase there and look under Robyn's Badlands

farmboy1989
07-19-2006, 10:28
If the 6.5 didnt turn out, then why not jest put a turbo kit on the 6.2?

Robyn
07-19-2006, 16:02
In all fairness to the 6.2, they are a great little motor but to turbo one requires more than just bolting on the turbo and manifolds.
This 6.2 was rebuilt about a year before I got it and I know who did it. To get a good reliable turbo'd 6.2 requires dropping the compression some (New Pistons) and I can live just fine with the 6.2. I had an 82 an 84 and an 86 with 6.2's and they were good little workers and all got great mileage.
I want my Hummer replica to be as simple and reliable as possible and parts left off dont fail. :0)