PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Drawings ???

Beedee
01-09-2006, 12:21
I finally got a used intercooler (air to air) the other day. It is a large industrial off of a piece of logging equipment. The cost to repair was too high. The dimensions are about 48" X 12" with two rows of tubes. The tubes are tacked into the headers and then siliconed to prevent leakage (part of the original problem). It won't take much to cut it down and modify it to fit.
What I was wondering is does anyone have a set of drawings or pictures with dimensions that I could use for the project. I'm not in any kind of a rush, this is going to be a spare time project for the future, might not even be untill this time next year.
I'm looking at building the type that goes under the truck down by the skid pan.
Thanks for any advice,
Brian

d.h.
01-11-2006, 20:47
Brian, I live in Parksville.I have i/c on my truck so your welcome to have a look at mine if your down this way.
Dave

Beedee
01-12-2006, 04:25
Dave, that would be great.

Drop me a line and we can get something set up in the future some time. Lord knows, I go through your neck of the woods often enough.
:D
Brian

[Edit to fool address harvesters]

[ 01-19-2006, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Beedee ]

Beedee
01-17-2006, 22:20
Dave, could you send me another Email, my kid crashed the computer and I lost everything.
Thanks
Brian

adamcortell
01-25-2006, 22:03
I recently finished my intercooler installation. I started big, too big. If anyone wants to buy a 24" by 12" by 4" (31.5" end to end) intercooler in perfect shape it will be coming to a classified section near you soon. It was too big to tuck up under the bumper and didn't fit between the frame rails well. I went with a smaller 18" by 12" by 3" core (22" end to end) ($139+shipping) and it went in nicely. Total installation cost came in a bit over $300 plus a $35 more to make a debris screen.

I haven't had a chance to try it towing or in the heat. It did seem to give me more power up long steeper grades on the highway. I am only running stock boost so far. I know others have done similar installations, but I thought a few more photos might help if you are considering the under bumper route. See them at Webshots (http://community.webshots.com/album/546682061RucHxo)

kaylabryn
01-26-2006, 10:04
Where did you get your cooler for 139.00? Is is off a particular application or new?

adamcortell
01-26-2006, 16:57
I got them off ebay. If you type in a search for "intercooler" you will find a ton of stuff. One similar to mine can be seen here Intercooler (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUGE-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-24x12x3-TURBO-FMIC-JDM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8032788 781QQrdZ1). It looks like it is now even cheaper. They must be massproducing these in China or something. The quality seems OK. Time will tell. The piping I used can be seen here Intercooler pipe (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Intercooler-Pipe-ONLY-Tubing-Supercharger-Turbo-Alum_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ803310 9135QQrdZ1). I hope this helps. It was not difficult project after I broke it into steps. It did take some time though. Hope this helps.

Beedee
01-27-2006, 04:29
Thanks Adam.
Every little bit helps. ;)

99gmccrew
01-28-2006, 09:09
Atom-c ,Nice job on your IC installation. I really like your air intake set up.

99gmccrew

kaylabryn
01-28-2006, 21:23
Thanks I appreciate all the help and info.

adamcortell
01-28-2006, 22:26
Thanks for the positive feedback 99GMCCREW. I had looked at your photos as well as others from this forum before starting my intercooler project. It helps to know that it can be done and see a few ideas.

The more I drive with my new intake the more I like it. It responds much quicker! And that turbo whistle is kinda growing on me... smile.gif

Thanks to all for putting out great info and ideas to share!