PDA

View Full Version : 93 6.5 cold air intake

davidstereo
07-17-2006, 12:31
I searched for this one but could not find any info. I am looking for an intake for my truck. I found an afe intake that says it will work but it is the only one that I have been able to find. The AFE says it will fit 92 through 98. Most intakes say they will fit 94 through 2000. Is the AFE a good intake or should I just get the K&N filter for my stock box? I don't tow a whole lot but I build decks and the bed will usually be full of wood, two or three thousand pounds if that. I would like to get a little more power from the engine, intake, maybe a bigger exhaust, if the 3.5 inch will give me enough gains over the three inch I have, for the price, I might do more depending on my money situation. Anyone, had this problem finding an intake or has anyone found a solution for this problem?

JTodd
07-17-2006, 13:31
Many have used a stock 97-99 intake air filter setup on pre-97 6.5s with good results. I think they tend to go for around $100 used. I think there was a recent thread describing how one member made his own intake.

Check http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23321

KenDavis
07-18-2006, 13:20
I put the AFE system in my suburban along with a new exhaust. My mpg went up 2 mpg. The AFE system slipped right in with little effort. I accidentally tore the rubber boot between the system and turbo, AFE sent me a new one with no cost. So far, I'm pretty happy.

JeepSJ
07-18-2006, 22:52
Nothing with an open element under the hood is a "cold" air intake. They are Hot air intakes. It doesn't matter what kind of tin shield they give you, you are still pulling HOT underhood air. The only COLD air intake is something that pulls air from outside of the engine compartment.

Sorry. That subject just gets me kinda fired up.

Bnave95
07-19-2006, 02:14
AFE sells a filter that will fit in your COOL box. Amsoil has a better filter though and does not need to be oiled. The afe has a better sealing gasket than K&N. The pleats on a afe has more filter area and filters far better than the K&N.
Check into the Amsoil EF filters before going with afe filter.
The afe filter that has the cone style shielded filter is better than the flat panel style in filtering smaller partitacles of air.
Hot intakes,cold intakes. Guess one would have to temp probe a closed box,open shielded style. Probe in the tube at the turbo.

davidstereo
07-19-2006, 07:06
I understand that the so called cold air intakes aren't really cold air intakes even the ones that pull air from outside aren't codl air intakes they are just colder air intakes. I feel that cold air should mean less than 75 degrees. It might get that cold in the winter when you first start the truck up. The subject makes me upset also. I meant a high flow intake. To increase the amount of air flow into the engine. Sorry I wasn't specific enough.