PDA

View Full Version : Injector replacement

TNeustadt
07-17-2006, 14:18
I recently drained 4 gallons of oil from crankcase, called the dealer and had all 8 injectors replaced due to high return flow rates. I have been watching the oil level closely to make sure the problem was corrected properly. Over the past 200 miles or so I have been draining and measuring the fluid from crankcase. The fluid has rate of increase of 1 qt/ 75 miles. I drained the fluid, replaced it with oil and brought it back to the dealer. (Beaty Chevrolet here in Knoxville) They have been helpful but yet resistant to believe the increase rate, so I even brought the drained oil with me this time. I suggested that maybe a fuel connection was not tightend or a faulty injector installed. Does any of this sound likely? I am driving their shop rental waiting to hear their diagnosis. Any thoughts, Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
07-17-2006, 14:53
Welcome to the Forums!

I had all 8 replaced on mine last year. It didn't have the fuel leak, but other outlined reasons demanded it.

After the replacement, it started making oil at about 200 miles. A return line cracked during the install, and dumped fuel into the crankcase. In your case, I'd suspect a poor connection or broken return line. It can happen, and there's no way to know until you run it. Just be sure to make the dealer take care of you. My dealer's first response was, "the return lines aren't covered by the warranty." My response...."It wasn't broke before you opened it up". They paid for the return line replacement, which would have cost about $2000, retail with labor.

Good luck!

TNeustadt
07-17-2006, 15:00
Thanks for the info DMax...It's good to have some idea of possible causes.
The site has always been a fantastic source in the past...Just never had any problems that weren't already covered. Thanks

TNeustadt
07-17-2006, 16:29
By the way...The truck is a early 2002 model.

TNeustadt
07-18-2006, 16:58
Talked to service dept today... they're still diagnosing the problem but stated they may have to replace all 8 again. I guess they have figured out that there IS A Problem. Whether it it's a cracked return fuel line, poor connection or the injectors, they've got to open up the valve covers. I hope they pinpoint it successfully.

Diesel Crat
07-20-2006, 13:05
Just got my 02 back a couple of weeks ago. No loss of oil pressure or Diesel in the crankcase but very high retrun rates on one side. They replaced all 8 injectors and fired it back up only to find that they had indeed created an issue with one of the return lines causing fuel to leak to the crankcase. At least they looked for the problem and corrected it before giving me the truck back.

Everything seems great now. Fuel mileage still not back to where it used to be though. Anybody else getting poorer fuel mileage on the low sulfur fuel?

TNeustadt
07-20-2006, 13:38
Truck is back at the dealer again. Took oil sample to lab which proved fuel was still getting into the oil. Lab convinced serv dept there IS a problem so they've agreed to open it up again...They're trying to figure it out... and have let me use the shop rental car. Sh#t happens ...

imsweetdaddy
07-20-2006, 19:34
YES... you heard right 4th set, 232k and gotta replace them again.....I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON AFTERMARKET 2nd FUEL FILTER AND PUMP>>> gotta stop this before it happens again!

Sould have know better and waited about 5 years before buying one of these Duramax trucks. Guess we are figureing out the bugs for them.

madmatt
07-21-2006, 05:29
I'd place my bet on a cracked line or sealing washer. I've seen both. W/ the lines, well sh!t happens. The sealing washers r often cracked when over torqued. If thats happened u can tell when u go to crack the bolts loose.

Kennedy
07-21-2006, 06:12
And hope they didn't strip the banjo bolt into the head or something stupid like that...

Kennedy
07-21-2006, 06:14
YES... you heard right 4th set, 232k and gotta replace them again.....I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON AFTERMARKET 2nd FUEL FILTER AND PUMP>>> gotta stop this before it happens again!

Sould have know better and waited about 5 years before buying one of these Duramax trucks. Guess we are figureing out the bugs for them.

My 2002 only has 80k on it, but has seen it's fair share (and then some) of abuse with only a belt tensioner and water pump for GM to warranty.

You also need to keep in mind that it's BOSCH injectors that are plaguing some people. Additive and filtration are what I attribute my injector success to...

dmagnuso
08-08-2006, 14:39
you wrote "Additive and filtration are what I attribute my injector success to...
"
what additives do you use and what filtration do you use? I want my injectors to last....mine is a 2003 with only 34,000 miles so far....
thanks....