PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself and my K3500 problems!

andrew8896
01-09-2006, 19:29
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself..

I have a 98 K3500 6.5L with:
-K&N conical filter
-BanksPower exhaust (turboback, no cat)
-guage pod (trans,pyro,turbo)

The trailer I pull is about 7,000lbs loaded
http://www.midwestlambos.com/forum/photo/misc/trailer.JPG

Problems:
-Overheats while towing in stop&go traffic, isnt too bad on the freeway though unless going over 65MPH, then the trans and engine get pretty hot
-Seems just a touch low on power, wondering what to do next..

I appreciate any feedback!

[ 01-09-2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: andrew8896 ]

Barry Nave
01-09-2006, 20:47
Seeing how you live just north of me. Another state any way. There could be alot of trash in front of the Rad. Pull the Rad. and you may what needs a good cleaning.
Nice Truck :D
And Welcome ;)
In joy reading,you'll be hooked in no time :eek: :D

markelectric
01-10-2006, 05:13
You may want to have the radiator cleaned. Made a world of difference on my old 94. If you cannot get thermal transfer in the radiator the best fan clutch in the world is only a holder for your fanblade

Cowracer
01-10-2006, 05:59
You got an exhaust and gauges. A chip is next for power. Kennedy or Heath both have decent chips that make a noticable increase in power.

I Personally have a Heath.

And megadittos on cleaning the rad out. Litterally POUNDS of trash can collect between the condeser and radiator.

Tim

rjschoolcraft
01-10-2006, 06:09
Welcome to the forum!

Spend a little time and read the articles that I've written on my Suburban project, especially Part I (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/schoolcraft.htm). This article deals with my overheating trials and what was done to correct them. You already have the late model cooling upgrades as stock equipment, so that part doesn't play in. However, there are two components that will make a huge difference...an intercooler and the Kennedy fan clutch.

Cleaning out the radiator is very important, but that was not enough to keep me from overheating.

Hubert
01-10-2006, 06:21
How many miles do you have on the engine and injectors? What is overheating? Coolant and EGT? 7000 lbs should not be too heavy for your truck. Most complain about overheating pulling hills. Yours looks like wind resistance on highway and radiator/fan reduced performance in stop and go. Maybe a cab spoiler to push air up and over.

How much boost do you have when running hot? About 12 psi is max w/o intercooler. A little more boost than stock helps temps. Are you still using the stock boost controls (vaccum pump) or other?

Ditto on radiator cleaning. You see from above posts its important. Mine had crap behind the oil cooler which also needs to be clean as possible. You really have to take grill off and get in there to clean stuff up. Does your fan clutch kick in and lower temps? You could look at the duramax fan and a tweaked fan clutch to engage sooner.

Bigger oil cooler, double oil filter remote mount. IMHO in stop and go traffic the stock oilfilter just absorbs heat from exhaust and negates the oil cooler. Biggest gain is intercooler.

andrew8896
01-10-2006, 07:32
Wow, thanks for compliment on the truck and for all the replies!! All of the info is helpful.. I do quite a bit of my own work on cars, but this Diesel stuff is all new to me.

Well, it will overheat all the way to the red on the water temp if I let it.. so something is going on with it.

On hills.. it kills the truck. I went to Pocono, PA last summer and I didnt think we were going to make it home!! So, I am hoping the power adders/cooling upgrades will do the trick..

Yup, the first thing I do will be to cleanout the radiator.. I am sure its never been done.

Also, I have NEVER heard my fan engage.. guessing that means the clutch is shot, so I am going to order the Kennedy clutch soon.

I am going to start a thread on chips and boost so this one doesnt go in 50 directions smile.gif

[ 01-10-2006, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: andrew8896 ]