PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Woes

GMC Hauler
07-19-2006, 14:59
Recently on the way back from a camping trip towing the travel trailer, the trans on the Burb started acting up. What I was seeing is the torque converter unlocking and locking fairly rapidally. It would do this in OD and third gear. I was about half throttle not climbing any major hills. Trans temp was 200F.

Something I have noticed for the last several months is that when you are crusing around town (without the trailer), about 45-50 mph, and the trans is on OD, and you call for more power, the trans will shudder, and then upshift. I have been using the resistor on the thermistor trick to increase line pressure to compensate. I usually keep this setting pretty low or off.

Now today, as my wife was driving through the Penn State mountains, the trans started actin up again. This time, it would unlock and lock, and sometimes doenshift to third, and then back. I now have a service engine soon light, but they don't have the code reader with them. I will have then stop at an autozone when they stop for the night.

I've had them put it in third, and limit they're limiting their speed to 60. They said that it is not acting up anymore.

I have talked to Suncoast, no help. ATS believes it's the torque converter. They are looking to see of they sell a triple lock, but the guy believes they have moved away from that. I tried to get a hold of JET, but to no avail.

For those of you who have had trans problems or experience, what have you seen and what is your advice? What replacement torque convereters have you used, etc.

GMC Hauler
07-19-2006, 17:41
Secure from Battlestations Transmission. I had them stop at an autozone and read the codes. P0118, Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit high.

This explains why I was having an intermittent fast idle.

This also causes the traismission to shift if it thinks the engine is cold.

I had the autozone guy disconnect the sensor.

It drives fine now. Thanks all you autozone workers out there!!

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2006, 20:15
Wow! Every Autozone employee I've met around here couldn't find their butt with both hands. They have a hard enough time finding the right part on the shelf. Let alone a sensor ON the vehicle.

Nice find. That's a rare one.