PDA

View Full Version : Another Trailer Wiring question, 4 prong lights

john8662
07-21-2006, 07:04
Ok,

The trailer I regularly borrow is an 16' utility trailer 77" wide.

The Truck in question is my '86 C10 6.2L

My trouble is getting the lights to work right. I re-wired the trailer with one of those generic trailer wiring kits that just comes with the two tail lights, and two marker light an the wire with connectors. The original wiring was shot.

Anyways, now, when I plug my truck into the trailer (4 prong basic lights connector) the lights come on, but my turn signals are goofy.

I get correct running and brake lights, but the right/left hand turn indicators just flash quickly. So If I'm using the right hand blinker, it will flash, but very quickly, not really enough time for the bulb to fully light.

I'm thinking it could be the truck too. To interface with the truck wiring harness I've got one of those "T" adapters, looks to be GM, but not sure.

Any ideas? Still a wiring problem on the trailer or in the harness (pigtail) on the truck?

diesel65
07-21-2006, 07:46
Hi John,

Replace your turn signal flasher with a heavy duty flasher, I think the number is 552.
The extra load of the trailer lights makes the the OEM flasher flash rapidly.

john8662
07-21-2006, 08:57
Really, It's that simple?

I'll drop by the auto parts store on the way home before heading out of town, sounds very probable though because they're working, just too much load..

Thanks!

J

a5150nut
07-23-2006, 07:40
If changing the flasher don't work.................
Make shure you have a proper ground wire from tailer to truck and it is connected to clean metal on booth ends.

john8662
08-03-2006, 12:09
Well, I changed the flasher for an heavy duty variable load flasher. They have both types at the parts store. I plugged in the new flasher and bingo, worked perfectly.

Amazing!

Thanks!!!