PDA

View Full Version : Turbo-Master vs. OE vacuum

countrymidi
07-21-2006, 17:39
After getting a code 78, I'm pretty sure the vac pump is out.. I can buy a turbo master for about the same price as a new vac pump.. Im just curious how many have tried the T-M and is it better than the OE vacuum for the wastegate.

TurboDiverArt
07-21-2006, 18:12
After getting a code 78, I'm pretty sure the vac pump is out.. I can buy a turbo master for about the same price as a new vac pump.. Im just curious how many have tried the T-M and is it better than the OE vacuum for the wastegate.
I think the stock vacuum holds the puck tighter than a turbo master set to 10 psi of boost. I have a turbo master on my truck. The difference is that at high RPM's the stock ECM is going to pull boost electronically while the T-M will hold maximum boost. It really depends on what else you have in the truck.

Art.

countrymidi
07-21-2006, 18:17
Everything in the truck is stock except When i replaced the fsd i did put in a # 9 resistor.

Bnave95
07-22-2006, 02:30
I'm using the TM for a reason. The Elect. control vac. went south. After checking all I could to get the vac. system to work,I could'nt trace the problem down. Must have a ECM/PCM problem. Had to replace vac. pump once and as you said the cost of a pump can go to the TM. The TM work's great for my use.

DA BIG ONE
07-22-2006, 04:16
In my 99 burb the harness that comes through the firewall to the ecm has been damaged by passengers stretching out their legs. This pulls on the harness and at times if harness is not damaged then some pins maybe pulled from their socket at the computer causing all kinds of things to go haywire.

If you stay w/factory comp be sure to stay at stock boost levels w/turbomaster.

Bnave95
07-23-2006, 04:58
In my 99 burb the harness that comes through the firewall to the ecm has been damaged by passengers stretching out their legs. This pulls on the harness and at times if harness is not damaged then some pins maybe pulled from their socket at the computer causing all kinds of things to go haywire.

If you stay w/factory comp be sure to stay at stock boost levels w/turbomaster.
I comfer. Do not see any improvements over 10 lbs

DaveNY
07-23-2006, 13:47
Have had TM installed on the truck for about two years. It is trouble free and one less system you have to worry about. Have found Heath settings for stock application very consevative and suggest setting the TM with boost gauge. Dave

redbird2
07-23-2006, 20:52
I've had TM on mine since put truck togeather last year with no problem at all. the one of the reason I went that route was no vacuum pump to fail when pulling trailer across the country, also pump will not rob engine of any power, and I'm also running higher boost pressure, left all the factory relays in place so would not get any codes set.

Warren96
07-24-2006, 10:58
If you leave the relays in place and you have no vacum pump,How can the puter NOT set a code.Dos'nt the puter monitor the changing MAP sensor?

JohnC
07-24-2006, 15:10
The PCM is pretty stupid in this respect. As far as I can tell, it only looks for dangerously high boost levels. I drove for 3 weeks, even towing, with a bad vacuum pump. Never once set a code or lit the SES light.

turbovair
07-24-2006, 16:00
Will the TM provide constant boost when running at higher altitudes? My stock vacuum system will deliver a couple pounds when running about 3500 ft and gradually increase with altitude.

countrymidi
07-24-2006, 19:16
I 've got a TM ordered, just waiting on it to come in,, but since i 'm already getting a code, what i need to do to stop the ses light.?

Bnave95
07-25-2006, 03:00
I 've got a TM ordered, just waiting on it to come in,, but since i 'm already getting a code, what i need to do to stop the ses light.?
Leave wastegate solenoid connected. Once you have installed the TM,clear codes by removing Neg.battery cables for a few min's.

Bnave95
07-25-2006, 03:06
If you leave the relays in place and you have no vacum pump,How can the puter NOT set a code.Dos'nt the puter monitor the changing MAP sensor?
EGR systems it should. Boost only,John says overboost though mine set code when I lost boost till I installed the TM. 94-95 seems to be a bred of there own.:)