PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel

medic198
07-23-2006, 11:45
Hey guys,

I need help again. I have a 2001 Chevy D/M. 148,000 + miles. Smelling diesel fuel for a long time, smell seems to come from under the hood left side. Well as luck has it I live in Ohio. Going to Indiana over the weekend and in down town Shelbyville on SR 44 I noticed a real strong smell of diesel. Pulled over fuel running down the back of the motor, lots of it. I have tracked it to the top of the motor, looking at the front of the motor, on the right side under the wire connections. I was able to make it home because no one could fix it on a Friday Night and Saturday was out of the question. Lots of fuel leakage. One guy at Firestone said it was the rail system, one guy at a truck shop told me it was an injector???? I have looked and it appears to me that the fuel is coming out of some kind of a valve housing. The fuel lines come to this valve lookng thing. I know this is weak information but if you can give a few pointers on this it would help me and as in the past save me some money.

TNeustadt
07-23-2006, 13:46
Have you checked your oil level?

medic198
07-23-2006, 14:23
I hadn't!!...but I did after reading your post...On the full mark?

medic198
07-23-2006, 17:43
Has the fuel rail failed often on the 2001's? The more we look the more it looks like thats where the fuel is coming from.

HELP!!!

chipper
07-23-2006, 19:54
Has the fuel rail failed often on the 2001's? The more we look the more it looks like thats where the fuel is coming from.

HELP!!!

The Fuel Pressure Regulator is screwed into the Fuel Rail & many of them have been reported ,on here ,leaking, including mine, on the 01's.
If you do a` search, there is much info on here, including pic's.

Joe Duffiney
07-24-2006, 02:07
Mine did the same thing a couple of months ago what a mess it made!! All I had to do was tighten one of the lines going to a block where the rails both where attatched to. I just gave it maybe an 1/8th of a turn and no problems as of yet.

madmatt
07-26-2006, 04:46
I've seen rails crack, fuel pressure senders leak around the threads and lines come loose. It could be any of the three how you described it since it's all right there where you said.

medic198
08-09-2006, 05:32
The two lines on top of the motor were loose....a 1/4 turn and they stopped leaking.. sorry for being slow getting back to you guys..thanks for the help

Kennedy
08-09-2006, 07:26
Loose pressure sensor was pretty common om the earlier models, primarily 2001.