PDA

View Full Version : Won't turn over, intermittant clicking noise when trying to start

kulwap
07-23-2006, 17:29
I have '96 6.5 TD and yesterday when running errands my sub stalled after I started it in the Costco parking lot in 103 deg F weather. I got it to go again after a couple of tries and I thought it was just due to the HOT weather. Still, we had lived in Sacramento and experienced this kind of weather a lot more often and it never happened there.

The next day when my wife tried to start it the dash lights flashed on and off and there was a clicking noise similar to when the batteries are dead. The first thing that occurred to me was that the batteries had died in the heat and that I needed to replace them. I got out my volt meter and check them and I was surprised that they were both reading around 12. I checked the acid level and one battery had all the cells low, while the other had only one low cell. So I topped them off and put the charger on them and charged them up.

After the charger indicated that they were fully charged I tried to start it again. The same thing then happened to me, there was a clicking noise and the dash lights flashed, and the starter would not engage. I then checked all the fuses, and they were good. I pulled the fuel solenoid fuse and tried again to see if it would make the same noise and it did not. I put the fuse back in and the noise returned. I am not sure that this means anything or not.

Any ideas? Starter? Fuel solenoid? Other?

Thanks!

BobND
07-23-2006, 18:45
Start by cleaning the connections at the batteries.

It is also possible a battery or two has given up in the heat.

GMCHORSHAM
07-24-2006, 02:42
As BobND said, Battery terminals, but don't forget the leads.
I have had a simular problem, I cleaned the Battery terminals, all was well
for a few months. Then a simular problem re-occured, I looked at the battery
terminals with dis-belief. After wiggeling the Battery leads around a bit, I discovered that the piggy back Leads, eg; one from the opposite battery and
the lead that goes to the starter, fit onto the one battery terminal, and are secured by a two bolt clamp to this terminal. The clamp bolts happen to be loose, and I simply did not notice this when I last cleaner the terminals.
I tightened the clamps up, and it started and ran like a dream.
I do have a R&R plan, to replace all battery leads across the whole system.
This includes the use of welding cable leads and soldered fittings, which I am anticipating will solve some of the earth problem, associated with the vehicle.
Don't overlook the the simple things, as I had done in the past.
Good Luck.
Rod.

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 03:06
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/batterm.htm
Do all grounds,cleaning

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 03:11
I have '96 6.5 TD and yesterday when running errands my sub stalled after I started it in the Costco parking lot in 103 deg F weather. I got it to go again after a couple of tries and I thought it was just due to the HOT weather. Still, we had lived in Sacramento and experienced this kind of weather a lot more often and it never happened there.

The next day when my wife tried to start it the dash lights flashed on and off and there was a clicking noise similar to when the batteries are dead. The first thing that occurred to me was that the batteries had died in the heat and that I needed to replace them. I got out my volt meter and check them and I was surprised that they were both reading around 12. I checked the acid level and one battery had all the cells low, while the other had only one low cell. So I topped them off and put the charger on them and charged them up.

After the charger indicated that they were fully charged I tried to start it again. The same thing then happened to me, there was a clicking noise and the dash lights flashed, and the starter would not engage. I then checked all the fuses, and they were good. I pulled the fuel solenoid fuse and tried again to see if it would make the same noise and it did not. I put the fuse back in and the noise returned. I am not sure that this means anything or not.

Any ideas? Starter? Fuel solenoid? Other?

Thanks!
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm

kulwap
07-25-2006, 10:31
Thanks for your input. I cleaned the terminals and the grounds and I did a further diagnostic on the batteries. They were toast so I replaced them. My sub is now up and running.