PDA

View Full Version : 2007 500ppm Diesel Fuels

DA BIG ONE
07-24-2006, 07:28
Well, I'm seeing stickers placed on diesel pumps down here in the sub-tropics read
something like this;

WARNING: Low sulfer fuel "500ppm" do not use in 2007 and newer diesel road vehicles. Use of this fuel in 2007 and newer diesel road vehicles could result in engine damage.

I'm adding RedLine diesel fuel catalist along with 2 stroke oil cause it's about the only thing that can be had down here.

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 08:35
Well, I'm seeing stickers placed on diesel pumps down here in the sub-tropics read
something like this;

WARNING: Low sulfer fuel "500ppm" do not use in 2007 and newer diesel road vehicles. Use of this fuel in 2007 and newer diesel road vehicles could result in engine damage.

I'm adding RedLine diesel fuel catalist along with 2 stroke oil cause it's about the only thing that can be had down here.
Why would this cause eng. damage? I'm more worried about when the ultra low sulfer diesel fuel comes out:(

DA BIG ONE
07-24-2006, 11:47
Why would this cause eng. damage? I'm more worried about when the ultra low sulfer diesel fuel comes out:(

I have no idea what this really means, but are we at more risk, or? I'm hoping some in the know will chime in here.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A11

stingthieves
07-24-2006, 12:05
Over the past few months the entire consumer diesel fuel additive industry have been aggressively trying to address the new labeling requirements for consumer diesel fuel additives as adopted by the EPA. The labeling is to

JohnC
07-24-2006, 15:34
I think you're confused. the sign on the pump means "This is the same old stuff you've been burning since 1993. Don't put it in a 2007 compliant engine, should one eventually become available."

Robyn
07-24-2006, 20:51
Best diesel additive is good Old red tranny juice. Been using that stuff for years in all the diesels I own. The Cat (500HP) loves it (3406E)
I run it from time to time in the 6.5's Cleans all the yukkies out and lubes thingsgood. Local diesel pump shop guy just smiles when I tell him I do this

gerry1
07-24-2006, 21:57
Best diesel additive is good Old red tranny juice. Been using that stuff for years in all the diesels I own. The Cat (500HP) loves it (3406E)
I run it from time to time in the 6.5's Cleans all the yukkies out and lubes thingsgood. Local diesel pump shop guy just smiles when I tell him I do this
Sounds good, what kind of mix? A quart per tank? How often and what is the downside of too much?
Inquiring minds want to know

DA BIG ONE
07-25-2006, 00:20
I think you're confused. the sign on the pump means "This is the same old stuff you've been burning since 1993. Don't put it in a 2007 compliant engine, should one eventually become available."

Yep, I am....... Anyway, I'm concerned about the 2007 15ppm sulfer fuel being introduced into my truck and if there will be resulting damage even using additive?

I had a MB diesel it was my favorite but when they changed the fuels back in the 1990's fuels system seals began leaking, then none could be found that would not leak, so I dumped it, just wondering if this same issue will rear it's ugly head again?

MTTwister
07-25-2006, 09:52

Just wondering if this will cause a "coloration " issue - should one get stopped by highway patrol with nothing better to do?
Don't suppose they make a Green tranny fluid.

And to repeat an above question - What ratio, if you please. Thanks.

More Power
07-25-2006, 10:30
I also posted this in the Member's Forum.

Until the new ULSD refining and distribution have been established and all the bugs worked out, I'm recommending everyone begin using some sort of fuel treatment to counter the effects of lower lubricity.

I heard last month from a Page member in Michigan who installed a brand new DB2 fuel injection pump, filled his motorhome with ULSD, drove 150 miles, then experienced a pump seizure. Stanadyne denied the warranty, claiming a lack of lubricity.... :mad:

It appears that to meet the 15 ppm sulfur requirement, some refineries are actually removing all of the sulfur (or as close to it as possible), expecting some residual contamination from the distribution system. There are fuel lubricity requirements (ISO 12156-1, -2, ASTM D-6079), which are met by adding a lubricity treatment. It requires faith, to put all your trust in the refineries.... :rolleyes:

I suspect all this will eventually be worked out. Till then, MP won't run ULSD unless the fuel is treated.

If you can buy bio-diesel (even B1), that would be a solution. Bio naturally adds lubricity.

Jim

PS - I'm running down an industry document concerning a study the fuel injection component manufacturers produced concerning the lubricity effects of adding ATF and motor oil. Based on what I've read so far, it might not add as much fuel lubricity as urban legend might suggest.

TurboDiverArt
07-25-2006, 12:12
Just wondering if this will cause a "coloration " issue - should one get stopped by highway patrol with nothing better to do?
Don't suppose they make a Green tranny fluid.

And to repeat an above question - What ratio, if you please. Thanks.
I can tell you that "TCI Racing Transmission Fluid" is dark green. I've already yelled at that them calling them dumb as$es cause when on a dip stick the dark green is hard to distinguish from a burnt brown. Only smell will tell if you have a problem. I stopped using it and moved to a full synthetic in the racecar. Costs about $15 a gallon so probably not cost effective for your usage. There is Mobil tractor fluid, called Molilfluid or just

DA BIG ONE
07-26-2006, 04:32
So, One member had pump failure using the new ULSD:15. Perhaps, more needs to be done to protect our IP's from the same fate......

Need solid input about what to add to fuel and how much simply because of Murphy's Law. I can see it now, pumps mis-labeled, fuel dumped into wrong tanks, etc............

farmboy1989
07-26-2006, 16:34
When these new trucks are 5 years old or so , im sure they will all have done modified. Civil penalties for removing the emissions controls?, sure but there are a lot of diesel enthusiasts that are addicted to the sound and smoke and im sure that a lot of those systems will be removed. I am most of all worried is if they are going to start taking the sulfur out of off road red fuel as the aging pumps in our older tractors dont need to drink poison when they are on their last leg already. What even worries me more is if they come up with the wild idea of banning running machines over a certain age or making you retrofit them with new emissions controls.

DA BIG ONE
07-27-2006, 06:55
I'm remember someone posting that ip's on military 6.2/6.5's are built to holdup to all kinds of fuels, if this is true would these pumps be a better option, or?

TurboDiverArt
07-28-2006, 08:01
For what it's worth. I have always used a 30-gallon shot of Stanadyne Performance formula with every fill up. The previous owner also always used Stanadyne Performance with every fill up. I'm usually putting in less that 30 gallons of fuel. Starting in 2006 I have begun to also put in a 60-gallon shot of Stanadyne Lubricity just to be safe. Last thing I want to have happen is to kill a pump because of ULSD.

When I emailed Stanadyne they said that Performance Formula in the correct dosage would be enough for ULSD. Me being paranoid I decided to start adding Lubricity anyway. Also, weren't these the same people that said the first generation pumps were not going to have lubrication problems with low sulfur diesel?

Art.

MTTwister
07-28-2006, 09:43
Via the Drudge Report

Scientist: Inject Sulfur into Air to Battle Global Warming :confused:

"One way to curb global warming (http://www.livescience.com/globalwarming/) is to purposely shoot sulfur into the atmosphere, a scientist suggested today.
The burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas (http://www.livescience.com/environment/ap_060315_carbon_dioxide.html), into the atmosphere. It also releases sulfur that cools the planet by reflecting solar radiation away from Earth. "

"Injecting sulfur into the second atmospheric layer closest to Earth would reflect more sunlight back to space and offset greenhouse gas warming, according to Nobel laureate Paul Crutzen from the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany and the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego."

http://www.livescience.com/environment/060727_inject_sulfur.html

ogrice
07-31-2006, 19:59
I 've run a couple of tankfulls of ULSD 15ppm. There is an Arco that sells it by my brothers house. I put 10 oz of Lucas Fuel stabilizer/ upper cyl. lubricant into the tank with the ULSD. No problems running loaded or unloaded yet. Not brave enough to not run any lubricity additives.

The exh. smells different and the first startup in the morning belches out less white smoke compared to LSD 500ppm. Mileage is right at par tank for tank as compared to LSD 500ppm.
Put the ULSD 15ppm in my TDI Jetta. Engine seems to idle and run a little smoother. I think I'm still going to run LSD 500ppm until ULSD 15ppm is the only things at the pumps. Better yet, maybe I'll be home brewing Bio-D and bypass the oil companies altogether.

There will be a learning curve for when this fuel is phased in. Hopefully not an encyclopedia of tech bulletins for problems associated its use.

16gaSxS
07-31-2006, 20:10
Via the Drudge Report

Scientist: Inject Sulfur into Air to Battle Global Warming :confused:

"One way to curb global warming (http://www.livescience.com/globalwarming/) is to purposely shoot sulfur into the atmosphere, a scientist suggested today.
The burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas (http://www.livescience.com/environment/ap_060315_carbon_dioxide.html), into the atmosphere. It also releases sulfur that cools the planet by reflecting solar radiation away from Earth. "

"Injecting sulfur into the second atmospheric layer closest to Earth would reflect more sunlight back to space and offset greenhouse gas warming, according to Nobel laureate Paul Crutzen from the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany and the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego."

http://www.livescience.com/environment/060727_inject_sulfur.html

Plus all this global warming will come to an end when the next major volcanic eruption happens.

PatW
08-02-2006, 10:27
I'm the member with the motor home that had a new pump failure 150mile after a fill up. ( from Ohio )

The fill up consisted of 35 gallons to top off a 60 gallon tank. The complete fuel system was new and had less than 400 miles, or 40 gallons of fuel run threw it. I called the station I purchased the fuel from and asked the manager what the sulfer content was, he stated it was the regular fuel and not the new ulsd, but he did not know the sulfer content.
I do not know if it was the fuel or not, but I am adding 1oz of soy shield to every 7 gallons of fuel now.

Patw
1999 safari trek 2006 Peninsular 6.5 rear turbo ect