PDA

View Full Version : Help, truck won't start.

Herman_Bolger
07-24-2006, 07:54
We have a 1993 6.5 that won't start. We have never had any starting issues before, this morning I went out to start the truck and it fired up no problem. On the way to work I stoped at someones house, shut the truck off and came out about 1/2 hr later, I noticed the glow plug indicater did not come on at all but thought that it must be warm enough. Turned the truck over ,it spins over fine but would not start, it did not even seem to be trying. I cranked it for about 5 min and nothing.
The lift pump, is in the fuel tank right? I should hear it come on momentarily when I turn the key on? I do not hear it, is there a fuse? I could not find one marked pump.
What else should I check, we do not have a decent dealer that is familiar with the 6.5's. The last time I had a question the dealer gave me way to many options, I think they did not have a clue, and were just throwing anything at me so I would go away!
Any help would be great, it should be here on the back of the tow truck shortly!!!!

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 08:12
We have a 1993 6.5 that won't start. We have never had any starting issues before, this morning I went out to start the truck and it fired up no problem. On the way to work I stoped at someones house, shut the truck off and came out about 1/2 hr later, I noticed the glow plug indicater did not come on at all but thought that it must be warm enough. Turned the truck over ,it spins over fine but would not start, it did not even seem to be trying. I cranked it for about 5 min and nothing.
The lift pump, is in the fuel tank right? I should hear it come on momentarily when I turn the key on? I do not hear it, is there a fuse? I could not find one marked pump.
What else should I check, we do not have a decent dealer that is familiar with the 6.5's. The last time I had a question the dealer gave me way to many options, I think they did not have a clue, and were just throwing anything at me so I would go away!
Any help would be great, it should be here on the back of the tow truck shortly!!!!
Lift pump is under drivers side seat,(not in cab) mounted on the interframe rail.
There is a fuse,driver side door,side of dash. I think? not to sure on 93 but is on 95. There is also a OPS (oil pressure switch) at back of eng. driver side. This works the lift pump when eng. is running. The lift plump should run when cranking.It will have a clicking sound. If you can't hear it you can feel it.

MTTwister
07-24-2006, 08:16
I believe: If you put it in Drive, crack open the air bleader on top of the fuel filter, and turn the key to start, ( won't start in gear) the lift pump should push fuel out of the bleader.

I think there's also an underhood wire you can "hot" wire to test the lift pump.

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 08:26
I believe: If you put it in Drive, crack open the air bleader on top of the fuel filter, and turn the key to start, ( won't start in gear) the lift pump should push fuel out of the bleader.

I think there's also an underhood wire you can "hot" wire to test the lift pump.
I know this works on a 95 though I'm thinking thats the only year?

Herman_Bolger
07-24-2006, 10:43
Since the first post, we had to wait for a while before the tow truck would get there, I got tired of waiting, so we decieded to flat tow the truck to our shop, jump in it just to see if it would start, turned over 2 or 3 times and fired right up? Drove about 4 miles to our shop ran fine, shut it off in the driveway, and tried to restart and it fired right up????
Any ideas

MTTwister
07-24-2006, 11:50
Sounds more like PMS instead of the PMD.

Herman_Bolger
07-24-2006, 13:01
What is the correct procedure to check the lift pump? I was under the truck and had one of the guys turn the key but nothing. Put it in Drive opened the bleed on top of the filter still nothing,oil presure switch??

JohnC
07-24-2006, 15:42
sounds like a typical tired old injection pump to me. If it persists, run it down to 4 or 5 gallons of fuel and add a quart of 2 stroke oil. If the problem improves, Bob's your uncle.

turbovair
07-24-2006, 15:54
Look at the ignition switch.Wiggle and tug on the key while the engine is running. If the engine dies, your switch is defective. Get another switch. Prepare to spend about $200 for it (OEM) Not too hard to change. My truck used to die randomly while in traffic. I tried this test and ended up replacing my switch. No trouble since.

Herman_Bolger
07-24-2006, 18:43
OK I'll try the wiggle thing tomorrow at the shop but it seems to run fine all day if I don't shut it off??
I checked the plug at the lift pump with a test light with the truck running and it just barely made the test light come on very dim, is that right? It did not seem to make any differance to the pump if it was plug in or not.
Once the truck is running, will it pull fuel through the lift pump if it is not working?
Thanks

Bnave95
07-25-2006, 03:21
OK I'll try the wiggle thing tomorrow at the shop but it seems to run fine all day if I don't shut it off??
I checked the plug at the lift pump with a test light with the truck running and it just barely made the test light come on very dim, is that right? It did not seem to make any differance to the pump if it was plug in or not.
Once the truck is running, will it pull fuel through the lift pump if it is not working?
Thanks
Open water drain vavle when Eng. is running,see if it stalls. If fuel comes out ,try using a low PSI gauge and see what kind of pressure your getting.
Theres a trick when pump gets heat sooked when Eng. is shut down and woun't refire by cooling the head pump with water. Then see if it will refire. As John said,pump plunger may be worn. Head pressure to low to open injectors.Once pump has cooled the tollerence is tighter on the pump. Seeing that you don't have the DS4, no PMD issue.

Herman_Bolger
07-25-2006, 10:15
OK problem solved, unfortunatly. This was suggested to me in the spring and I think I was in denial.
When the truck is cold , first thing in the morn the truck fired right up and I used it to deliver a boat, I did not shut it off untill I came back to the shop. Then I let the truck sit for about 1 min, turned it over and it started again. Let the truck sit for about 30 min tried to start it, no way. Took the hose to the pump and ran cold water over it jumped in the truck fired right up.
So now I guess I need to put in a pump. We have the 93 mech pump, is it fairly straight forward, like do it ourselves, or should I take it to a truck shop or worse yet the dealer????

JohnC
07-25-2006, 10:43
It's tedious. Cleanliness is paramount.

Do the lift pump test first. dim bulb = low voltage. Probably need a new oil pressure switch. If that fixes you rproblem, even just for the time being, you're better off.

Herman_Bolger
07-25-2006, 11:12
I may just order an oil presure switch any way, whats another couple bucks?? just called the dealer, 39.99 my cost, oh well I'll try this first!