PDA

View Full Version : A/c

cryodrene
07-24-2006, 12:44
I have an 03 duramax. Since I purchased the truck late in 02 I have had hell with the A/C in the summer months down here is south Texas. Is anyone else having this problem? I can't seem to cool the truck down even on a long road trip. I took it to the dealer several times and they told me that the A/C was working correctly. I also have an 03 Tahoe and the A/C on that will freeze your hands off. Can anyone help me please, I am sweating to death!

jbplock
07-24-2006, 15:02
I had the same problem when my 03 was new .. Dealer recharged and reprogrammed the system ... also reshaped the air defelector behind the grille to direct more air to the condenser ... has worked great ever since ...

See the folowing topics for more info ..

03 Weak AC Solution (http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=19296)

2003 Hot A/C issues & possible fix (http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=19217)

:)

hug
07-24-2006, 16:06
I changed my ac orfice to a ford style orfice and it has been cold ever since. I have not had any problem and ac is cold. It does not get as cold as my 98 but it is in the mid to high thirtys on a 90+ day. My 98 stays in the low to mid 30s. All this is using a vent thermomter. Maybe this will help

spongebob
07-31-2006, 13:42
my 06 dosnt seem to get cold either....
getting rid of r-12 was a big mistake..

rob from bc canada
07-31-2006, 16:16
Two things I've found with both heating and cooling on mine:

1) It doesn't give much unless you use the "Vent" position - blowing straight at you from the dash vents. Using the floor outlet position or even the up&down position doesn't pass enough air. On mine, if I have it set to "Auto" it picks that position automatically when cooling.

You can always aim the vents away from your face when the icicles start forming and your teeth start chattering!!

2) If you're pushing the AC (or heating) to the limit, it helps a lot to use the "Recirc" position, and not use "Fresh" outside air. The outside air has to be dried first, and starts out at a higher temp, and that wastes a lot of your AC power.

Mine has the dual zone auto temp control, but the principles above should apply just the same

RADAR
08-01-2006, 14:06
cryodrene,

I had the same problem, but mine is a 2004 model. Here was the remedy that fixed mine:

Service Bulletin (TSB) (#02-01-38-0078) The Dealer replaced the Accumulator and several hoses.

My A/C works better than ever and I haven't had any further problems.

David Proske
08-02-2006, 22:01
My 03 would freeze me out of the cab. I could start it up after sitting in full sun all day and it would be blowing 34deg out of the vents in short while...either driving or ideling, it didn't matter.

My 06 is not as good....it will cool down to 38-40 deg, but takes longer to do it.

This is in southeast texas heat.

tacticaltj
08-04-2006, 15:53
Does a Service Bulletin require the dealer to complete the work in the bulletin, or is it optional?

I just had my 04' in, 80 miles outside the 36,000 bb warranty and they "fixed" my AC. But, if more needed to be done, like in this Service Bulletin, I'm taking it back in.

M