PDA

View Full Version : Oil Sender Unit ?

TJ
01-10-2006, 20:07
Hi all,
I went to replace the oil sender unit on my 98 tonight. This truck has a 2002 GEP motor. To my suprise, the special oil sender socket will not fit on the sending unit because of interference of the intake manifold. I'm wondering if the angle of the sending unit on the newer motors is slightly different, therefore, requiring the removal of the intake manifold to change this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
TJ

BobND
01-10-2006, 20:15
Is the sender screwed into a 45-degree streel el that is in turn screwed into the block? If so, turning the adapter a bit in the block will move the sender away from the intake so you can get a wrench on it. Or, did they screw it in without an adapter, and then install the intake?

TJ
01-10-2006, 20:18
No adapters....just in the block.

Kennedy
01-11-2006, 07:07
I've heard of people using a wrench to remove it. I moved mine back behind the head on my 96. I belive RJ'd is back there too like it came from the factory, and then he used the hole in the valley for the KD Lift harness OPS which is much shorter.

Barry Nave
01-11-2006, 10:58
I moved mine back behind the head

Is there a plug that can be removed on the head? Driver head?
Where one could leave the failed oil unit in place and just relocate?

JohnC
01-11-2006, 13:49
Originally posted by Bnave95:
...leave the failed oil unit in place and just relocate? I'd try to get the old one out. Eventually it will start leaking.

Barry Nave
01-11-2006, 14:05
Something for me to keep in mine.
I'v owned this truck at 45k.In 98. No OPS and lift pump change yet. Now 150,565K.
Did get a new long block at 65k :D Thanks GM
BTW Power Service gray and white bottle sence day 4. In the Diesel area at Auto Zone I seen these bottles and thought? I should use this ;)

Brian Wood
01-11-2006, 17:11
Just replaced a OPS last week. Cut a 1 1/16 socket off so it is open so the OPS can pass through. Welded the open socket to the side of lug wrench on the same side but opposite end of the bent socket end of the lug wrench so you put pressure equally on the sensor. This is important because the upper part of the switch is plastic and can be broken easly. Worked Great! The biggest pain is moving the fuel filter to get access.