PDA

View Full Version : Kingpin/5thWheel Hitch Air Bags

DonG
07-24-2006, 14:51
I pull a fifth wheel with my 2003 D/A 3500 dually. I do not have air bags on the truck's rear axle. I have experienced quite a bit of "banging" along the road to the point that I want to "soften" the connection between the truck and the Fifth wheel.

I have heard of both fifth wheel hitch air bags, and Kingpin airbags. The last issue of "Trailer Life" magazine has an ad for two different Kingpin airbags, "5th Airborne" and "Trailair".

Does anyone have comments on an air bag system to accomplish what I desire? Does anyone have any experience with either of those mentioned Kingpin bag systems?

Thanks for your insights.
Don

Ponch
07-24-2006, 17:44
DONG
My 5th has a trailAir pin as well as the on the axles and rides very good having said that IMHO the best 5th wheel hitch is made by Air Safe hitches out of CA. This hitch rides on 4 firestone air bags and moves in all directions. pull them up on www.airsafehitches.com

I didn't catch which truck you were using but I'm running a 2500HD and I had to install air bags to stop just what you are talking about.

This is an expensive hitch but you will not even know the trailer is behind you.. AWESOME

Ponch

arveetek
07-24-2006, 19:08
My father has a TrailAir pinbox on his 5th wheel and loves it. We just started handling the 5th Airborne at the RV dealership where I work. We installed one on a new Montana last week, and the owner reports back that he loves it. The TrailAir and 5th Airborne work on identical principals, except one locates the hinge on the front, and the other on the back. Since the 5th Airborne is much cheaper, I would go that way. The TrailAir, if I recall, retails for around $1500, while the 5th Airborne is nearly half that.

I don't have any experience with the air hitches, though. I do know they are a lot more money. I guess it depends on which you plan on keeping longer: the truck or the trailer. Any of these products will solve the problem of which you describe.

Casey

DonG
07-26-2006, 14:17
Thanks Ponch,
I filled in the form asking for information on the Air Safe Hitches but I have not heard back from them yet. Thanks for your experience on Trailair.

arveetek, good comments on both systems. Thanks. I have found that more people use Trailair than 5th Airborne, but that might be because Trailair has been available longer.

I am hoping to get to look at each of them before I make a decision.

Thanks again, Don

christo
07-31-2006, 20:16
I started out by adding the Firestone air spring system to my K2500 to help keep the truck level and the headlights on the road while pulling a heavy 5'er.

Next project was to remove the trailer suspension and replace it with full air ride and a auto levelling valve/ air tank/ compressor.
This really tamed the trailer's ride and made it a pleasure to tow.
The 5'er has a rear kitchen and my wife never put away a toaster oven, but just leaves it on the counter.
I must admit that some of this is helped by throwing away GM's junk shocks and installing Bilstiens. Keep the front of the trailer stable and the back rides better too.

Next step was to put a TrailAir hitch on the trailer; this also helped the ride both for the K2500 and the trailer.
On the previous 5'er I actually had the trailer hitch break loose from the trailer due to flexing fatigue. Watching the TrailAire hitch working while driving down the road has me convinced that this problem is not going to be repeated. ( I hope!)

CHRISTO.

REDTRUCK05
08-01-2006, 21:51
DONG
My 5th has a trailAir pin as well as the on the axles and rides very good having said that IMHO the best 5th wheel hitch is made by Air Safe hitches out of CA. This hitch rides on 4 firestone air bags and moves in all directions. pull them up on www.airsafehitches.com

I didn't catch which truck you were using but I'm running a 2500HD and I had to install air bags to stop just what you are talking about.

This is an expensive hitch but you will not even know the trailer is behind you.. AWESOME

Ponch
I am running the same tires on my 05 2500HD, pulling a travel trailer 29' and 5600# dry. They do not seem to hold the road as nice as my yokohamas (spelling?) the only differance is the yoko's were 285's 75r 16 on my ford.