PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Additives

AK Edition DMAX
07-24-2006, 22:23
Bought my first Diesel...2006 DMAX. Looking for advice on what additives I may have to use in Fairbanks to prevent my fuel from gelling at -50. For instance last January we had almost 2 weeks of -50 avg. of temps. I have been told that most stations here sell winter grade but what else will I need to do? Thanks for any advice.

Kennedy
07-25-2006, 05:39
I use FPPF Products I have Total Power in my fuel and had good flow last year at -20f. We don't get as cold as you so I'd suggest FPPF Polar Power which is more concentrated, OR blend in a good bit of #1 diesel when it gets really cold. 50-50 blend and a good dose of Total Power should cover most anything. I would never leave home without a bottle of Melt Down...

DmaxMaverick
07-25-2006, 14:24
A couple bottles of "Power Service 911" is good insurance to have around if you do gel up. It works. There may be other products available that work as well, but PS 911 is the only one I have experience with.

More Power
07-25-2006, 21:29
I imagine the fuel you have access to in the winter is close to straight #1 diesel fuel. In combination with the coming ultra low sulfur diesel fuel, you might want to add a fuel treatment that advertises additional lubricity in addition to gell protection.

I'd also consider adding the dual electric cooling fan, replacing the engine driven fan. The engine will warm up and maintain heat a lot better.

Also, www.webastoshowroom.com/blueheat (http://www.webastoshowroom.com/blueheat) offers some unique cold weather accessories for your truck that would make life easier.... Seems odd talking about this during the high heat of summer... :D

Jim

AK Edition DMAX
07-26-2006, 09:16
Seems odd talking about this during the high heat of summer... :D

Jim
Understand that...I bought the truck while home on leave from the Middle East while GM was doing the 0% sale over 4th of July weekend. SOOOOO I will not be back in my truck until the middle of December. By that time we will be in -20 to -30 weather and I am trying to get schooled up on what to expect/need to prep. I was able to take the truck on several trips and after break-in I pulled a 17' trailer with it...if I didnt check my mirrors often I would have forgot that I had a trailer there. GOD I miss my truck.....oh and my wife too.

More Power
07-26-2006, 10:02
Synthetic motor oil would be a good idea as well. You'll also be using the engine block heater quite a bit. Try to keep the truck garaged overnight.

I visited AMG in Indiana recently and saw the newest HMMWV's being built.... I was impressed with the new armor and dual A/C added to the 1151 models.

Jim

JohnC
07-26-2006, 10:44
Might want to think about getting the summer fuel out before it gets too cold. I had a gelling problem with one of the tractors as we didn't burn the fuel fast enough... Much easier to prevent than to cure!

AK Edition DMAX
07-27-2006, 06:10
My wife enjoys driving the truck as much as I do so I dont think it will be a problem with getting the summer grade out of it before winter.
The newer HUMMERS that we are getting is nice and all...however you have to drive with the windows down so you can engage targets and the top hatch has to be open so the gunner can engage. In 120 degree heat with all of the necessary body armour you have to wear they would have to pipe the A/C up your a$$ to stay cool enough...

I will change it to syn oil anyways when I get back because that is all I run in my engines after driving 6 years on the German autobahn...never had any significant wear or problems with anything.
The trucks come from the dealer with block heaters, oil pan and transmission, and battery heater pad...used to always having to plug in...also put a Viper remote start on it.
Thanks for all of the input...Chuck