PDA

View Full Version : ULSD Cautions/Precautions

More Power
07-25-2006, 14:54
Until the new ULSD refining and distribution have been established and all the bugs worked out, I'm recommending everyone begin using some sort of fuel treatment to counter the effects of lower lubricity.

I heard last month from a Page member in Michigan who installed a brand new DB2 fuel injection pump, filled his motorhome with ULSD, drove 150 miles, then experienced a pump seizure. Stanadyne denied the warranty, claiming a lack of lubricity.... :mad:

It appears that to meet the 15 ppm sulfur requirement, some refineries are actually removing all of the sulfur (or as close to it as possible), expecting some residual contamination from the distribution system. There are fuel lubricity requirements (ISO 12156-1, -2, ASTM D-6079), which are supposedly met by the refineries adding a lubricity treatment. It requires some amount of faith, to put all your trust in the refineries.... :rolleyes:

I suspect all this will eventually be worked out. Till then, MP won't run ULSD unless the fuel is treated.

If you can buy bio-diesel (even B1), that would be a solution to a potential lubricity problem. Bio naturally adds lubricity.

Jim

cowboywildbill
07-26-2006, 04:49
Thanks for the heads up. We just picked up our 06. Do you think that the total power would work? I had been running it in our 02.

More Power
07-26-2006, 09:23
You only need be concerned with the 15ppm ULSD. If the refineries are doing their part, and treat the fuel as required, lubricity will be OK for any diesel fuel injection system. It's the uncertainty factor that concerns me.

I've contacted a few of the primary diesel fuel treatment manufacturers, asking about treating ULSD. I'll report anything of import....

In the meantime, any nationally available fuel treatment that includes lubricity would be a good idea.

Jim

Bill Voitel
07-31-2006, 18:42
Sounds to me it's time to find at least 2% bio diesel to compensate for the loss of lubricity. I have been running the B-100 I have been brewing for the past 3 months in the Po**r St**ke. (Yea still having issues having a F**D) With no ill effects the psd rattel is reduced nothing as near as quiet as a MAX but better than it was. BP stations around here are selling 5% Bio about .10 higher than straight stuff. if it saves a pump on the older motors or an injector on the new ones I think it may be worth it......Bill