PDA

View Full Version : Cummins anounces new diesel engine program

More Power
07-27-2006, 08:22
Cummins announced it has reached agreement with a major automotive manufacturer serving the North American market to produce and market a light-duty, diesel-powered engine.

Cummins will develop and manufacture a family of high-performance, light-duty diesel engines for a variety of automotive applications in vehicles below 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight, including standard pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. :)

ZZ
07-27-2006, 08:59
Glad to hear this. Maybe it will expand the diesel market.

chipper
07-27-2006, 11:53
Glad to hear this. Maybe it will expand the diesel market.

And help drive the price of diesel even higher?

a5150nut
07-27-2006, 19:21
Would this be the diesel they are offering in the Jeeps?

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2006, 19:51
No surprise. ALL of the Diesel engine manufacturers have a program. That's not the problem. Vehicle makers have to implement them or no market. Too many good programs died young.

6.5NOVA
07-28-2006, 03:12
"too many good programs died young" is this inclusief the v6 duramax??

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2006, 11:44
"too many good programs died young" is this inclusief the v6 duramax??

Don't know. We'll see. There has been more than one proposal for the V6 Durmax in the past, but it never made it to production. The engine does exist. But doesn't have an application, yet. Same went for the PS V6. That one cost Ford plenty for abandoning it. They actually had a contract with Navistar to build them, then cancelled.

ZZ
07-31-2006, 22:16
And help drive the price of diesel even higher?

I'd like more diesel vehicles to become available; especially American cars again. GM had all the bugs worked out on the 5.7L diesel about the time the public was soured on them. Now would be a good time to bring it back to the full size cars.

redbird2
08-02-2006, 16:48
I have one of the v6 PS in a step van chassis truck we are getting decaled now looks really strange with twin turbos I'll let you guys know how it pans out I hope better than that 6.0 POS getting tried of replacing turbos 7 on one truck all on there dime however still bits evertime have to take back to dealership.
I would love to try one of those v6 dmaxs in my wife every day driver truck. I'm getiing ready to out a 4BTA cummins in her truck for her.

DmaxMaverick
08-02-2006, 19:21
I have one of the v6 PS in a step van chassis truck we are getting decaled now looks really strange with twin turbos I'll let you guys know how it pans out I hope better than that 6.0 POS getting tried of replacing turbos 7 on one truck all on there dime however still bits evertime have to take back to dealership.
I would love to try one of those v6 dmaxs in my wife every day driver truck. I'm getiing ready to out a 4BTA cummins in her truck for her.

Interesting.

Is that engine/van badged Ford, or Navistar, or something else? Just curious.

JeepSJ
08-11-2006, 13:48
Would this be the diesel they are offering in the Jeeps?

I think with the existing Dodge/Cummins relationship, that may be a good assumption. But, Dodge has not announced a 1/2 ton diesel pickup, whereas Ford and GM both have.

Personally, I think Dodge is really missing the boat by not dropping the 4BT into their 1/2 ton trucks. Sure seems that it would be fairly easy to tool that up.

WILLYD-MAX
08-18-2006, 11:12
DmaxMaverick.... The v6 PS is branded a Navistar. It is definatly in production and is being offered in a new Ford low forward truck kinda like all the little Isuzu's you see around.

DmaxMaverick
08-18-2006, 12:24
DmaxMaverick.... The v6 PS is branded a Navistar. It is definatly in production and is being offered in a new Ford low forward truck kinda like all the little Isuzu's you see around.

I was referring to was the contract they had for F-series trucks they bailed out of. What they have now is a different contract, with a different division of Ford.