PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start

andro70
07-27-2006, 13:01
Many of your have helped me in the past and I need your help again. I have a 1996 2WD with 210,000. I replaced my FSD, and lift pump about 6 months ago. The other day, I couldn't get the truck started. I haven't had had any of the usual FSD symptoms such as stalling. The other day, after driving and parking, the truck wouldn't start. When I cranked the engine, it would do one of 3 things: fire up then immediately quit, fire up sputter then quit, fire up rev to a high rpm then quit. I had the truck towed home. Thinking it must be one of the usual suspects, I checked to make sure my lift pump was working, replaced my fuel filter then replaced my FSD. I'm still having the same problem.

I've read on other posts of a possible ignition switch problem or OPS sensor. What should I try next? Can you buy an OPS sensor by itself? If so how do you install it?

Thanks.

JohnC
07-27-2006, 14:57
When I cranked the engine, it would do one of 3 things: fire up then immediately quit, fire up sputter then quit, fire up rev to a high rpm then quit..

Sounds like the PCM can't control the fuel solenoid. Often this is the FSD, but if you've eliminated that you're left with the fuel solenoid or the wiring. Any stored codes? If you can get a scanner on it, look at fuel solenoid closure time.

tommac95
07-27-2006, 20:17
Andro-

I'd check out the OPS/LP fuel-supply first, then go over electric-supply. After that, if no change, i'd be leaning toward FuelInjectionPump renewal.

The system, the troubleshooting , and the deferred maintenance can all contribute to complex results-- so proceed in orderly fashion, make notes of tests and upgrades.

Bad fuel can readily compromise a healthy engine....

Artworks
07-28-2006, 06:45
I had same sort of problem this past week. last sat. stopped for about hr.to visit, went to go an truck fired up, then stalled ( when I turened on air con. ?) tryed, to go but would not till it cooled down. Did the same yesterday. I have one battery that isn't holding it's voltage and dragging other one down. Spins starter fine but maybe not getting enough to run electrics. so I am figureing that is the problem. p.s I put remote mounted the fsd as per Kennedy site between times, so I doubt that is problem.Guess have to buy nother battery.

kojo
09-01-2006, 16:12
Have you find out already what was problem?