PDA

View Full Version : Any free sites that decode our VIN'S?

Burning Oil
07-27-2006, 17:47
I have found a crew cab truck that the owner says is a diesel. I have only seen pictures of it, but none of the engine yet or even the front bumper. I will get some pics tomorrow.
The vin I have is 1GCGC33RXVF020021. Looks like its a 350 to me. R=350ci right??
Anyone know of any free web sites to decode vin#s. Thanks.

JTodd
07-27-2006, 18:20
According to http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/chevrolet.html

G
C
G - 8001 - 9000 lbs GVW
C - 4x2 Pickup
3 - 1 ton
3 - 4 door cab
R - 5.7L Gas motor
X
V
F

So, according to that, you are correct, 350 gasser.

Burning Oil
07-27-2006, 19:41
Thank you, Im going to have to see whats up with that.

chevss442
07-27-2006, 20:06
Maybe somebody converted it to diesel.

the black/red one went - 9100.

Bnave95
07-28-2006, 03:07
Maybe somebody converted it to diesel.

the black/red one went - 9100.
And if so it won't have the right front bumper:( I would look over the install also. Filter system,coolers,lift pump install,wiring,glow plug relay Ect. that diesel need. Is this a 2002?

N9Phil
07-28-2006, 06:00
I would take the vin # to your friendly Chevy dealer service department and they can give you a print out of everything that has been done to the vehicle (at a dealer service center). They can also give you a list of everything that was on the vehicle when it was built. They usually don't charge for this.

N9Phil

Burning Oil
07-28-2006, 07:17
Good ideas, I will be looking into it more. A converted truck does not scare me away if it was done right. The only thing i wonder is if since it might be a gas motor truck according to the state of Texas will I be exempt from emissions test when I have it inspected each year??

Burning Oil
07-28-2006, 08:07
Well it turns out the truck is a gas engine just as we suspected. The girl swore it was a diesel, but when I keeped questioning here she finaly asked someone else that told her 100% it is a gas engine. Oh well better to find out now before making a 4 hour drive. Thanks again.

So I am still looking for a CREW CAB diesel 96-2000, any ideas?

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2006, 09:08
Just curious....

Did she say what made her believe it was a Diesel? Did she never hear it running? Who was filling the tank?

A 350 gasser that sounds like a Diesel would have some pretty serious issues.

....Even so, a conversion would exempt the vehicle from its previous smog requirements, but may subject it to smog requirements of the repower. Some states are easy (like CA, believe it or not, has no smog testing for non commercial vehicles), and others make it near impossible. Once a conversion is done, the vehicle can no longer pass previous requirement smog tests. A common practice in around here is to convert a Diesel to gas (with no title class change) to avoid smog testing. It works well until a wize LEO finds out.