PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Installed Big Thanks to All

AC Bingel
07-27-2006, 23:07
After being inspired by many of you that have fabricated and installed your own intercooler system I got up the nerve, purchased the parts and installed one of my own. I have about $450 into it. That is about 1/3 of what I was saving up to spend on a kit.

I can't believe what a huge difference the I/C makes. I just returned from a trip towing my 30' travel trailer. The exhaust temps (post turbo) never got above 875 degrees on a hot muggy 95 degree day.

This will be the last add on to the Suburban for now. I am saving for the high output injuection pump which is suppose to get me closer to 300 hp. I was told that my new 18:1 Peninsular engine could handle the extra hp.

Thanks to all who took the time to post on their I/C project. The pictures were a big help also. Its great to have a forum of die hard 6.5 owners.

I encourage anyone who is thinking of doing this to give it a shot. It is fairly easy. It just takes a little time and patience.

restoguy
07-28-2006, 04:54
Whoa! What's going on with your upper intake there, Cheif?! I'd like a little bigger pic and some info, if you would please.

93_Burrito
07-28-2006, 05:24
restoguy,

That looks like the marine upper plenum from Peninsular.

BrentN
07-28-2006, 09:24
Nice work!
I am starting to lean this way too, especially after towing in 105 deg weather @ 8000 ft. It would be nice to have a little cooler air going down its throat.

Do you have any concerns about road debris damaging the cooler?

Can you provide us with a parts list too?

Thanks,

Brent

AC Bingel
07-28-2006, 11:10
I am not concerned about road debris as the intercooler is a pretty solid unit. I will work on a parts list and post it soon. As far as the intake goes, it is a Peninsular intake. It was only $50 and made the install much easier.

a5150nut
07-31-2006, 18:37
Looks very nice. Do you think insulating the cooler to intake runner would be worth the trouble? All that work to keep it cool just to heat it back up again.

Waiting for more pics and parts list too!

redbird2
07-31-2006, 19:35
I'm finishing up my cooler this week it's installed waiting on 2 more 45 deg hose elbow I decided on running a 3" set up made my own upper intake plate, what size cooler are you running, I went with a 12x24x4 little over kill however I pull a large livestock trailer, I also pull a 35' flat bed with a 7620 John Deere tractor and big New Hollard square baler gross well over weight. it was easy to hit 1250 deg plus I had it as high as 1600 one time was paying attention on the phone. let off as soon as looked at gauge luckly no damage noticed so far that was a 6 month ago.

nice job if yours very impressive

AC Bingel
07-31-2006, 19:50
I don't think it is necessary to insulate from the cooler to the intake. I had my truck hooked up to a code reader that shows air intake and it never got over 130 degrees at full throttle on a hot day.

I just got back from a 850 mi trip pulling a 8500 lb travel trailer. It was 95 degrees and I was driving 70-80. Prior to having the cooler installed, the air intake would get so hot my truck would start to de fuel and I could barely hold 50 mph going up hills. Now my truck gets up and goes when I hit the pedal.

I am running a 12x25x3 intercooler.

If anyone wants larger pictures, send me your email address. I cant figure how to post larger ones on the site.