PDA

View Full Version : Towing Report: 9,000 lbs to beach (650 miles) in 95 deg temps!

jspringator
07-31-2006, 13:13
9,000 pounds, 5 people and 5 bicycles from Versailles, KY down I-65 via Highway 331 in Alabama, to the Top Sail Hill campground. Towed in up to 95 degree temps. No overheating. Temp gage topped at a smidgen above 210, and then only rarely. EGT's well in the green at all times. Self limited boost to 12, but tried to keep under 10. Of course, a little more power would always be welcome, but overall it performed very well. Had to add 1/2 gallon of coolant in Elizabethtown. I have been having a slow coolant leak that I can't find. Hadn't had any coolant losses in about 3 months, so I hoped it went away. Guess not.

How do you detect slow coolant leaks?

ronniejoe
07-31-2006, 13:19
Congratulations! It's a good feeling isn't it?:D

stingthieves
07-31-2006, 19:47
How do you detect slow coolant leaks?

Small can of Barrs stop leak in the coolant tank - and have a nice day!
Kind Regards
Rick

jspringator
07-31-2006, 20:02
Thanks RJ; it does feel good. I feel like my hard work and cash is finally paying off. I never did replace those thermostats. I just hope I don't blow it up now that its paid for! The only problem with the current power is I can't let my wife tow because she can't master the feel of just giving it enough throttle without downshifting. I take advantage of every down hill to prevent downshifting while going up the next hill. It doesn't really matter just going to Topsail. The Keys are another matter, though.

Thanks String. I may give that a try. I was hoping to find the leak and fix it. I have used the "Cadillac" tabs a couple of times. It may be time for another dose of something.