PDA

View Full Version : Egt's, Stock Gauges And Clutch Fan

REDTRUCK05
07-31-2006, 20:45
I have had issues with my clutch fan. I run an edge W/ATTITUDE system. Around town it stays at level three (DRIVE). The edge screen stays real consistant at 196F. The stock gauge reads around 205F. What I dont understand is I can pull my trailer and they dont change. My clutch fan still engauges! Today, 7/31, it was 100F here in Minneapolis. My gauges read the same, 196F. My fan engauged unloaded at 45 MPH. Even pulling my trailer they have read as high as 202 (Edge), 210 stock gauges, pulling hard in high heat. The fan runs at any speed under 50 MPH. My EGT's pulling at 65-70 stay around 1100-1200. Seems high?

Colorado Kid
08-01-2006, 14:21
What the fan clutch sees, that you don't have any guages for, it the tempurature of the air coming out of the cooling "stack" (The Intercooler/AC Condensor/Radiator/Transmission Cooler). As long that that air is hot the clutch will enagage and the fan will run. With cooled EGR moving heat from the exhaust to the coolant I'm not surprised the fan has to run more often.

The EDGE adds fuel, fuel makes heat . . .that's why you need the EGT information.

REDTRUCK05
08-01-2006, 20:47
What the fan clutch sees, that you don't have any guages for, it the tempurature of the air coming out of the cooling "stack" (The Intercooler/AC Condensor/Radiator/Transmission Cooler). As long that that air is hot the clutch will enagage and the fan will run. With cooled EGR moving heat from the exhaust to the coolant I'm not surprised the fan has to run more often.

The EDGE adds fuel, fuel makes heat . . .that's why you need the EGT information.
It also does in stock or (level 0) on the monitor

SatchMax
08-02-2006, 20:04
I have the same problem as you are having. Mine does not engage at low speeds, but the egt's are about the same with my lly. My dealer changed to fan early after my complaints about how loud it was. My problem now is how the temp will go from 192 to 230 and them cool down to 192 and go back to 230 when the fan will kick in and cool it down. I do not understand why it will not stay at a 198 to 205 temp. Also look under the from of your truck and see if the deflector plate is down in front of the plastic splash guard. I have trouble keeping mine up on the bumper for a straight shot of air into the radiator. Waiting for parts for the new 06 air cleaner system and a reflash to see if this helps my ohing problems. Will let you now later.
SatchMax
Lubbock, Texas

jsmiracle
08-06-2006, 12:26
I just returned from a 200 mi. weekend trip with the 9500# TT with outside temps in the low 90's. EGT's were respectable (600F-1250F; ~900F avg.) I only hear the fan at the top of a long incline and it shuts off shortly afterwards. It IS loud, but comforting. I was weighed at the Flying J scales at about 17,400 lbs GCVW. I love the truck.:)

Jim.