PDA

View Full Version : Not getting up to temp

Buckle
07-31-2006, 21:09
the gage in the interior(the stock one) says it is not getting up to temp. But I open up the hood and the motor is warm and should be reading normal operation temp. what is the stock temp gage reading? the coolant level I presume? And were is the sensor for replacement? Or what else could it be? Im thinking thermostat but the problem is I got duels and I don’t know how they work in conjunction to each other...

help..
Symon

john8662
07-31-2006, 23:12
Temp sensor in the dash is for coolant temperature.

Sounds like the thermostat(s) are stuck. When the engine is supposed to be up to operating temperature the upper radiator hose should be pretty hot and somewhat hard (not really hard but firm).

The factory AC thermostats have a rubber ring around them, sometimes the ring comes off and gets stuck in the thermostat itself, causing it to hang open, this could sure be your case.

The other alternative before you break water is to use a digital/laser thermometer and measure the temp at the thermostat housing, should be around 190 degrees.

J

JTodd
08-01-2006, 02:35
Are you saying that even if you drive for a considerable time, the temp never approaches 200*? I know that the factory gauge is not always accurate. After running for a while, does hot air blow when you turn on the heat? Before I changed my thermostats, it would take about 45 minutes of running in the winter before it would be up to temp. and at least half of that before warm air was blowing. I replaced both and problem was solved.

Indecently, on my gauge there is major delineations divided by 4 smaller lines between. Normal operating temp for me is between the first major line and the first small line after that. I think it works out to be around 195. But these types of gauges are not exact.