PDA

View Full Version : 2 micro filter

coxfmly
07-31-2006, 21:36
I currently run a 2 micron Ricor fuel filter set up on my 84 Sub. It is mounted on the frame rail approximately 6' forward of the tank. Is this too fine a filter and could it be restrictive? I am about to change it again and was wondering if I should go with a 20 or 30 micron unit. My diesel mech told me to stay with the 2 micron unit. I want to ask the "real pro's".

I also have a Napa Gold canister filter on the fire wall. I have never come across water or dirt in the catch basin but I did have the filter seal blow out once. I had just returned from towing my trailer and was backing into the driveway when the filter ring seal blew! Needless to say I had a Haz Nat situation instantly.

Thanks again

john8662
08-01-2006, 08:59
I don't really think it's the fine media that's really the problem, but the amount of the filter media in the filter, less = less flow.

The main reason for not running a fine media filter pre-lift pump is mainly because it will tend to plug up quickly, which could be costly for you serving filters.

So.. if it ain't broke, don't fix, keep doing what you're doing, if it isn't hurting anything, do you notice a drop off in performance at a certain inverval?

J

coxfmly
08-01-2006, 16:10
I have felt a drop in power after 10-15k miles mark. This is usually at my 1 yr change interval. I change them out annually and have never had any real issues.
Thanks for the info