PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter change proceedure

BWT95K2500
08-01-2006, 13:19
Hello everyone this is my first post and it's great to be here.

I was wondering if anyone could outline for me the exact proceedure for replacing the fuel filter on my 1995 K2500 non-turbo Chevy. I have searched, but can't find the real answers, most of what I gather is vague to me as someone who is not familiar to the parts of this engine. I am a competent home mechanic, but this is my first diesel and I don't want to mess anything up.

I have located the fuel filter on the engine, and I have no doubt I could just rip it out and throw the new one in, but I want to make sure I am doing it right.

There is something about running the lift pump, purging the air, bleeding the filter housing, etc etc.

Can anyone help or point to information?

MTTwister
08-01-2006, 13:37
1 - make sure you have the new filter aligned properly- there are long and short slots under the 'cap' that have to go a certain way - check the one you've just jerked out for alignment hints. Then tighten down the holding ring. ( Hand tight is all I've done)

2. There is supposed to be a small screen filter at the bottom of the fuel filter housing that CAN come out with the old filter. When you pull the old one make sure it's not stuck in there, if it is - rescue it and put it back in the bottom of the filter housing. Naturally, I haven't checked mine, so don't know if it's still there, or has gotten tossed before I knew about it's existence. Hopefully I'll remember to check next time.

3. Once the new filter is installed, you need to open the bleeder valve on top of the filter you just inserted ( play with the one you took out if you want). Then - you need to activate the lift pump to purge the air.
Now, on the '96 it will run during the glow plug cucle. Not sure if this is true for the '95. If not, put the truck in gear ( Automatic..) and turn the key to 'start'. This should activate the lift pump to fill the filter housing.
Some are so tidy that they put a suitable hose on the bleeder valve and catch the overflow. Probably a nice idea...

Alternatively, there is a 'hot wire' possibility under the hood by the fuse panel, that someone more knowledgeable than I can point you toward.

4. Some go so far as to actually clean out the filter housing.. Boy, its way back there, and so far away.. I haven't. ( That's another reason why I don't know if the above little screen is still around... )

5. The brass "T" on the thermostat housing is for draining water from the fuel filter housing - so it won't help you in purging any air .