PDA

View Full Version : How do Cummins pass AZ emission tests?

MTTwister
04-08-2004, 16:53
- prompted by a different thread, maybe even a diff site.. :(

Eventually I'll be moving to AZ. From the Dodge's I've seen around town 'up here' - they're real mosquito killers. No way they can pass the opacity / emission tests. Smoking suns of a gun.. Do they have a different standard, or whaaa ?

moedog
04-08-2004, 18:44
THEY COME FROM THE FACTORY ABLE TO PASS, BUT MANY GUYS ARE TURNING UP THE PUMPS, TURNING UP THE COMPUTERS, INJECTOR UPGRADES AND THEN THEY REALLY POUR OUT THE SMOKE

Craig M
04-09-2004, 06:41
Many states do not have tests for the diesels. Even in the ecco state of California we have no visual or emmisions test on our diesels. Gas engines are a different story. Because of this lack of any testing on the diesels ther are a large number of hot 454's running in diesel registered trucks here in California.

Dart
05-09-2004, 06:25
My 97 c2500 recently failed emissions here in Phoenix. The truck sat for a year +/-, as I bought a new Dodge Cummins. I was going to sell the Chevy, but sold another vehicle, and kept it.

Truck was running good, a little smoke. I assumed the diesel fuel was old, contributing to the problem. During the test, they replaced the sensor, running the test sequence 4 times, as though they could not believe the results. I could not see significant soot from the cab.

Ran the old fuel out of it, and ran a cleaner in it. It passed, just barely. I could not see any significant soot coming out. Interesting that the employees mentioned "Diesel failing emissions - thats something new!"

Hate the "snap idle" test, and running the engine clear to redline. Not the way I learned to run a diesel engine.

I agree that a lot of the Dodges here in town really belch the black smoke. Same with some Fords. My Dodge basically emits no soot, even under full load uphill with a 11,000 pound load.

Regardless of emissions test, seems to burn clean to me.