PDA

View Full Version : the duramax and biodiesel

twprigge
08-01-2006, 20:53
was wondering how the duramax handles biodiesel. any problem or special hazards using it.

More Power
08-02-2006, 09:50
GM grudgingly allows the lower concentrations of commercial bio-diesel, as long as it meets ASTM standards. I'd not run the home-brewed stuff while your fuel system is still in warranty.... :)

Jim

ISEEDIT
08-06-2006, 05:08
Minnesota mandates a 2% blend in all diesel. This adds lubrisity to the fuel and less smoke. No problems this summer with the blend, although diesel can go bad on you if it sits for extended periods of time (not sure what that is, as my bulk tank always seems empty). Last winter there were some bugs to work out for a couple of refiners - but they should have it under control this winter. I didn't have any problems in my tractors or my DMax. I wish they would go for B20 durning the summer and a B10 for winter(I have my bulk jobber blend it for me). Bio-soybean oil is was around $2.50 gal last I filled- so blending or using a higher amount is less expensive then the $3.10 gal 2% blend at the pumps here. Would GM (and other Mfg) need to use all the particulant (pollution control) filters on the "07's if they specified more Bio-diesel blends ?????

More Power
08-06-2006, 21:06
The EPA & the auto companies can't predict the availability of bio, so they can't design/implement emission systems based on a bio fuel.

Sounds like MN fuel suppliers are slinking out of the lubricity requirements by blending in bio. We may see a lot more of that between now and October.

Diesel fuel now $3.26 here in western MT.... .:(

Jim

Inspector
08-06-2006, 22:45
It looks like an excuse to raise diesel prices has shown its ugly face in that the Alaska pipeline is being shut down for an undetermined time to repair a corosion problem.
We shall see but I believe the oil companys or the analysts will take advantage of the situation.
Denny

Prestonia24
08-08-2006, 00:14
I was doing research on BioDiesel and other alt diesel sources (VWO/SVO, etc) and came up upon a whitepaper by the major injector companies, Delphi, Bosch Stanadyne, etc...

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/FIEM.pdf

Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment (FIE) manufacturers fully support the development of alternative sources
of fuel for compression ignition engines.

Now, they talk about the different standards in this paper, including the fact that the US standard for BioDiesel is based on Soybean oil, which as a feedstock does NOT fulfill the European standards...

"Several initiatives are currently underway, to define Standards for fatty acid methyl ester fuels. For
vegetable oil methyl esters (VOME), Austrian, Italian, German and French Standards already exist as
well as a draft European Standard, but it is recognised that these do not fully specify the fuel
requirements to a sufficient level to protect the end-user. In particular the fuel ageing propensity is poorly
defined and few controls are implemented."

And Lastly but not leastly, something we expect them to say re: warranty issues and whatnot...

...Even if these fuels comply with a suitable Standard as delivered, the enhanced care and attention
required to maintain the fuels in vehicle or other tanks may entail a high risk of non-compliance to the
Standard during use.
The FIE manufacturers can accept no legal liability for failure attributable to operating their products
with fuels for which the products were not designed, and no warranties or representations are made
as to the possible effects of running these products with such fuels.

menarda
08-08-2006, 13:55
Refer to the post titled "Fuel viscosity sensor?" for the only issue I've run into so far with home brewed bio.