PDA

View Full Version : Best Location to Remote Mount FSD Cooler

Stratosurfer
08-02-2006, 03:57
Howdy Howdy,
After numerous stalling issues my Burb now runs great. I put an FSD cooler and mounted it on the intake. After continuing to read about this issue here and elsewhere I am -greatly- concerned that I should have bought a cooler/new PMD package that was set up for remote mounting.
I live here in Central Texas where it has been over 100F in the afternoons for many days now. I went down last night after the Burb had been shut down for about 3 hours and was astounded how hot the FSD Sync cooler still was, and the OAT had dropped to around 78F.
So...... I am determined to by myself a harness extension and was hoping for some input from the group as to where the best place might be to move it to. The only place I could find was on the front bumper essentially in one of the holes, mounted on piece of aluminum angle that would be bolted to the inside bottom of the bumper. This looked relatively cool against what I felt on the top of the intake and would obviously receive excellent airflow when moving.
MY CONCERNS: I'm concerned about the weatherproof nature of the PMD and more so the connector that plugs into it. If I move the PMD/Cooler to or even near the bumper hole, could a rainstorm have a potential short across any of those lead in the connector going into the FSD??
I can 'offset' the PMD/Cooler in the hole to where only 1/2 of the sync plate would get direct 'onflow' of air/rain, keeping the side of the FSD on the sync plate actually behind the steel of the bumper.
Any experience here? Anyone got the ideal location??: I don't like the idea of putting another significant heat load inside the cabin with me, but will consider even this if someone in a hot climate has pulled that off.
Thanks

Artworks
08-02-2006, 04:17
I had same concerns as you, even in 'THE GREAT WHITE NORTH'. ( we get 85 to 95 F weather too ) I bought the extension harness from Kennedy along withe a new FSD and mounted my cooler in front of the battery as per Kennedy's site ( tech tips ). We will have to wait and see as to the added life . I am having some hot sall problems when I re start right after getting truck really warmed up, but I don't think it is FSD related as no codes. ( may be OPS) Last FSD on cooler lasted about 40,000 KL. I wish thes problems would go away fro awhile so I can save my money for new mods such as exhaust, air supply and cooling, but don't we all !!!

Stratosurfer
08-02-2006, 06:09
The PC CPU water cooling industry has matured and you can get kits to watercool turn key for about $100, I wonder if this might be a viable solution? I strive for simplicity so I am looking at the CPU coolers that are FAN/AIR as being more simple, but the super ability of mounting the PMD anywhere -cooler- than the top of the engine compartment and then running water lines to a radiator mounted in one of the holes on the front bumper, in a system that is designed to run 24/7 and move terrific heat from PC CPU's seems intriguing. They have them completely thermostatically controlled for about $30 more!
Anyone watercooled thier PMD? Air/Fan?
Thanks

Rot Box
08-02-2006, 09:43
The PC CPU water cooling industry has matured and you can get kits to watercool turn key for about $100, I wonder if this might be a viable solution? I strive for simplicity so I am looking at the CPU coolers that are FAN/AIR as being more simple, but the super ability of mounting the PMD anywhere -cooler- than the top of the engine compartment and then running water lines to a radiator mounted in one of the holes on the front bumper, in a system that is designed to run 24/7 and move terrific heat from PC CPU's seems intriguing. They have them completely thermostatically controlled for about $30 more!
Anyone watercooled thier PMD? Air/Fan?
Thanks

I have tried just about everything emaginable when it comes to mounting and cooling a FSD, I came to the conclusion (after weeks of testing) that the FSD is not safe ANYWHERE in the engine compartment (Lazer verified). I tried fans with no success (although they looked cool and took a long time to make), they just ended up being a conversational piece.

This is what I did to ELIMINATE FSD cooling problems. I took the billit heat sink that is supposed to mount to the upper intake, (that also doesn't work it actually made mine hotter) and mounted it in one of the large factory holes in my bumper so that the upper cooling fins are in plain sight from the front of the vehicle. Then I bought an extended 72" harness from Kennedy, and ran it to the FSD on the bottom of the heat sink. To avoid any water related problems I made a shield (or cover) for the top and bottom (about a 1/2 inch above and below the heat sink) out of polished aluminum, and put a light water proof grease on the plug just in case. When you are moving the fresh air will pass through, and take full advantage of the heat exchanger. I think that if there were any real water proofing issues I would have experienced them by now so far so good.
When I was done I used my lazer, and NEVER recorded a temp over 95 degrees even after idling for 10 minutes. My truck has NEVER stalled or had a FSD related problem since. Try it what do you have to loose? Good luck!

Rot Box
08-02-2006, 09:51
Sorry STRATOSURFER I Quoted the wrong post! Infact I just wanted to post a reply not quote at all :confused: oh well. Water cooled? that sounds pretty cool :D I'd be interested to see how that works.

TJ Moose
08-02-2006, 10:15
SS - look at how Heath Diesel places his PMD. I have one - so far no problems, no complaints - 'Burb is running good. I wouldn't suggest mounting it in one of the bumper holes - then you're just robbing cooling air from your radiator and engine and tranny oil coolers.

Scooby
08-02-2006, 10:23
I got the kit from Bill Heath, and installed just the aluminum piece the FSD is attaced to, to the bottom lip of the front bumper. It sits on top of the lip, and is bolted thru the lip. It runs parallel to the ground, which is what I wanted. I didnt want to worry about rocks or anything else hitting it. It was easy to drill thru the lip on the bumper and bolt it up. I can reach under easily and feel how warm the aluminum plate is getting too. I seldom find it much above ambient.

AC Bingel
08-02-2006, 14:07
I also have the Heath kit. I could not mount mine on the bumper or the skid plate per the instructions. I was able to squeeze it in behind the grill. It stays nice and cool there. I spoke to someone at Heath and they said the unit is completely sealed and water proof. Heaths kit also comes with a 7 year replacement warranty on the pmd. Now thats a deal I couldn't pass up.

Stratosurfer
08-02-2006, 15:58
To avoid any water related problems I made a shield (or cover) for the top and bottom (about a 1/2 inch above and below the heat sink) out of polished aluminum, and put a light water proof grease on the plug just in case.

Rot Box,
This my solution as well, do you have a pic you could p-mail me on how the whole unit looks mounted, showing your two pieces of polished aluminum covering the ends of the heat sync?
I assume that you have the fins paralell to the air-flow and the sync angled to push the flow up toward the radiator, that's my idea but I'd love to see yours.
Any pics you could p-mail would be great.
Thanks

Stratosurfer
08-02-2006, 16:58
I wouldn't suggest mounting it in one of the bumper holes - then you're just robbing cooling air from your radiator and engine and tranny oil coolers.

TJ (Tijuana?? I used to live in San Diego, we called it TJ) Moose,
I think the Heath set up is pretty slick, if'n I had it to do all over again.....
But since I have the FSD SYNC and new PMDs I think I can 'shape' the airflow up to the radiator/tranny coolers/A/C condenser etc OK by properly placing the angle that I mount it in the hole.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rot Box
08-03-2006, 10:38
Rot Box,
This my solution as well, do you have a pic you could p-mail me on how the whole unit looks mounted, showing your two pieces of polished aluminum covering the ends of the heat sync?
I assume that you have the fins paralell to the air-flow and the sync angled to push the flow up toward the radiator, that's my idea but I'd love to see yours.
Any pics you could p-mail would be great.
Thanks

I wish I could send pics (my pictures won't download for some reason :confused: ) because it looks really cool. It doesn't block any of my coolers or radiator, and it does in fact sit parallel just like you mentioned and works great :D also the FSD is on the bottom of the heat sink, and is protected by the aluninum shield so there is no way any road debris could come in contact with it :cool:

soulman67
08-03-2006, 14:38
I put mine inside the cab, and it sits on top of the ecm next the ac housing behind the glove box. it has been sitting there for over 40K. I moved it there after my truck started stalling and its been working great ever since. I have been using the same fsd for 2 years now.

Stratosurfer
08-03-2006, 19:54
I put mine inside the cab, and it sits on top of the ecm next the ac housing behind the glove box. it has been sitting there for over 40K. I moved it there after my truck started stalling and its been working great ever since. I have been using the same fsd for 2 years now.

I thought of putting mine inside, but am worried about:
1) an extra heat load in the cabin when the A/C's -workin- hard on a temp differential; where are you located? I'm in Central Texas and enduring very hot summers
2) How on earth did you get it there, did you mount it at all or is it loose/tie wrapped in place? Where did you run the harness through the firewall.
Did you put a PC fan on the sync?
Lots of questions, but this does seem plausible for my situation if it works in a hot climate w/o the front seat passenger feeling any of that radiated heat.

chevss442
09-07-2006, 08:55
Hi,
I spent a lot of time experimenting with locations and measuring actual temperatures with thermocouples on the PMD and measuring the ambient temperature. Here is a summary of my results, temps are after the engine was up to operating temperature. The outside ambient temperature was 95 - 100 F during all of these measurements:

Factory stock location, PMD ran about 165F.

PMD mounted on a heat sink on the intake manifold, PMD ran about 195F.

PMD mounted on a heat sink in the air cleaner box, ahead of the air cleaner, PMD ran about 115F.

PMD mounted on a heat sink behind one of the air holes in the front bumper, PMD runs the same as the ambient temperature.

Rot Box
09-07-2006, 09:29
PMD mounted on a heat sink behind one of the air holes in the front bumper, PMD runs the same as the ambient temperature.

I second that ;) Good work.

Stratosurfer
09-09-2006, 13:13
I don't have an IR thermometer, however -touching- the FSD SYNC mounted on the intake manifold, 3 to 5 hours -after- shutdown my unit was still way too hot to touch.
Is the FSD SYN as designed to be mounted on the intake manifold a joke or what?
This data needs to be posted more prominently.

PMD mounted on a heat sink on the intake manifold, PMD ran about 195F.

Thanks, I will use the Kennedy cable to remote mine to the front bumper air holes. I am in a little trouble however, as I have moved to deer collision central Texas, I have to put a grille guard on to prevent serious damage from such impacts, I hope the new bumper/grille guard I purchase will have the holes in it!

chevss442
09-09-2006, 19:43
Thanks, I will use the Kennedy cable to remote mine to the front bumper air holes. I am in a little trouble however, as I have moved to deer collision central Texas, I have to put a grille guard on to prevent serious damage from such impacts, I hope the new bumper/grille guard I purchase will have the holes in it![/QUOTE]

From the experimenting I did I don't see how any PMD mounted on a heat sink on the intake manifold is going to run cooler (in hot climates, at least) than in the factory stock location. In fact, that set up makes it run hotter. It is easy to see why - that location just soaks up the heat from the air coming off the radiator.

john8662
09-11-2006, 06:41
How about some good pictures from you guys that have installed these FSD coolers off the engine!

Let's see 'em!

J

seth_95
11-24-2006, 02:42
which is the best fsd cooler to go with and the best place to buy one? (Ss Diesel, Heath, or Kennedy or US Diesel Parts) Who had had the best luck with one of these outfits. Thanks!

DA BIG ONE
11-24-2006, 06:08
FSD's are pretty much the same but later part# units should be best. As for heat sinks? Well, there are many heat sinks that can be used, any of them can be installed into airstream w/o any problems as long as you have the proper lenght harness.

I have a fin plate cooler mounted (fins forward) at the lower/front edge of the drivers side wheelwell, get's plenty of cool air & works great.

I have another unit (Heath's flat plate) mounted forward on the lower/leading edge of the front bumper. It gets lots of cool air too but wonder if it works as good as the fin type plate?

Both of above units use same harness, one fails I just move plug from harness to the good one, been there done that! Just a few minutes down time and back in business.

Worst case, I have the pump mounted unit to fall back on......

All units can handle anything as far as the elements are concerned, deep water, ice/snow, mud, heat/sand or whatever!

rjwest
11-24-2006, 16:21
Mouted my FSD inside, if I were to do another,:
I'd mount it inside, Like to be able to change it easily if required..

The FSd 'FEELS ' Hot but as for actual power dissapation it is minimial.
At 10 amps, (way more tha actual ) that would only be 140
watts max, not significant for the a/c loading.