PDA

View Full Version : Value of engine?

farmboy1989
08-02-2006, 19:51
I talked to a guy today that has a 6.5 diesel out of a truck that is relatively new with few miles because it was an engine gm put in under warranty. He decided to take it out because the truck sat a while and then he went to use it and a mouse nest caught on fire and burnt up the harness to the pump and the windshield washer motor, he said there was no damage to the engine itself. He said he was going to replace the harnesses and make it run again but he has decided to put a 454 in the truck.He shot me a price of 1500 knowing the pump was bad but everything came with the engine. Is this a good price and whats it worth? What is my engine worth as parts or whole, as mine is a 94 sold without pump with 1 brand new head from clearwater and the mechanic said it needs rings but the engine had good oil pressure and good turbo.

redbird2
08-02-2006, 20:14
that could be a good price if he can verify the engine replacement and the miles on it how long has it set? is he willing to let you run compression test on the engine? if everthing checks out that would not be a bad price cheaper than rebuilding one. one thing you can look at is if it is a new replacement enigne it should have 1/2" sae oil cooler line fitting in the block not3/8" if replaced after early 1998 production year. just make sure you check it real good before you pay for it. Good Luck

farmboy1989
08-02-2006, 20:19
Also, if it is not an F engine, can i make it an F by switching the intakes and the stuff off of mine and also eliminateing the egr also? Also since i know for sure that it is newer than a 96, will i be able to continue to run my 5068 injection pump?

farmboy1989
08-03-2006, 18:59
Well i went to look at the engine tonight . The injection pump looks good on this engine but the wiring harness is what took a beatin. If i had the computer out of this truck could i use the injection pump on the engine without changing the harnesses on mine?I would of course need to change all the accessories on this engine and use my accessories.