PDA

View Full Version : Tips and advice on guage installation

sturgeon-phish
08-04-2006, 18:42
I'm finially getting to order guages for my '96 and I've decided on JK's full pillar gauge kit with post turbo egt and boost (R3607VWR & R5611R). I'm looking and asking for advice to make the install as simple and good as possible. I would really appreciate words of wisdom and experience as a guide before I order and install.
Thanks ahead of time,
Jim

Scooby
08-05-2006, 02:37
I found that the sun visor covers the top gauge when lowered. Also, depending on your height, you kind of take your eyes off the road to view the top gauge. This being said, I put the gauge that changes value the least, and doesnt need constant monitoring on top. That is the trans temp gauge. EGT and boost are constantly changing, and it is easy to see them without taking your eyes off the road with them in the center and lower mount positions. I picked up the dash lights and power by removing the fuse panel and splicing there.
Just a few thoughts.

sturgeon-phish
08-06-2006, 13:34
I'm going to go the distance and get a tranny temp gauge also with a triple pod. I remember previous posts speaking of an existing place ( driver's side tward top) that is used to mount the trans temp probe. Am I right? As far as the boost I'm going to tee off the MAP sensor. For the EGT drill and clamp as close to the turbo and leaving room for clamp / band / bolt clearance. Am I on track?
Thanks
Jim

ronniejoe
08-06-2006, 13:37
Very few monitor engine oil temperature...You might be shocked at what you see if you do.

john8662
08-06-2006, 16:43
Just an FYI, in accordance with what RJ is saying. A person could purchase the Oil Temp gauge and monitor both the transmission and the oil temperature in the engine. Just get two senders and wire in a switch. Just a thought...