PDA

View Full Version : Uptown smokers?

farmboy1989
08-04-2006, 18:57
No im not talking about those ppl that stand around outside of the bar for hours on end . With a boost fooler, could you in a sense turn your boost to zero when you take off for a "smoke show"?

DmaxMaverick
08-04-2006, 19:03
Bad idea.

I don't think you make a very good beekeeper.

Robyn
08-04-2006, 19:15
Im not sure I understand the reason to soot up the engine and plow through 20 bucks worth the fuel???????????//

Not to mention how much trouble we all go through to get these 6.5's to work right and not smoke up the area when ya romp on them.

farmboy1989
08-04-2006, 19:48
Maybe not necessarily 0 boost, but less boost means means more smoke. Ive not got the idea of smoking like a tractor puller. Just a little black that you can tell its a diesel.I seen a 6.5 the other day that had a straight pipe, it put off a little black when it took off, and then burned clean the rest of the way but you could still hear the turbo whistle real good.Maybe that is what im after?

N9Phil
08-05-2006, 04:47
I think that I know what you mean. I once had a problem with my 88, when I would put the pedal to the metal I would leave a cloud of smoke the size of the Suburban. One day I had a young girl following about a car length behind while going 70. I told my wife to watch this, I backed of the pedal a little and let the smoke build up a little (I could watch it build up as it came out of the tail pipes) and then I put the pedal to the metal. I left a cloud of smoke the size of the car. She backed off and never came closer than ten car lengths again. I tried everything to fix the problem and finally had to take it in for repair. They tightened up the vacuum lines, adjusted the TPS and redid the timing. It fixed the problem. I always figured that I would love to have a switch on the dash just so I could duplicate the problem when needed. (Of course only for testing)

N9Phil

DennisG01
08-05-2006, 06:46
Boost foolers (atleast the one I used to have from Kennedy) can only turn UP the boost. If you dial it way down, you'll just be back to the stock setting in the ECM. Now, what about using some kind of shut-off switch that's inline to the wastegate solenoid? Basically turning off the solenoid. If you did this AND were using a boost fooler, would it then not throw a code?

Warren96
08-05-2006, 18:18
If you disconnect the solenoid you will throw a code and the SES will come on, but the light will go out when you reconnect the solenoid.The code will stay stored in its memory.But to add to this conspiracy against tailgaters, Guy's,we are going to have to redirect our tailpipes so that that it is not directed off to the shoulder of the road, it will have to be directed straight at the offending tailgater.We are going to have to change the motto of this website from ''More Power'' to ''More Smoke''!

Robyn
08-05-2006, 19:52
Install a momentary vacuum switch in the vacuum line to the turbo from the solenoid and run it with a push button on the dash.
The computer wont know the difference and you can smoke the whole place up and when you are done playing just let off the button and criuse along fat and happy.

Robyn
08-05-2006, 19:55
We used to mess with the air fuel adjustment on the old B model Cats and they would go full fuel right off and not wait for the boost to come up.
OMG you could coat everything for a block in a 1/4" of soot. This day and age of $3 fuel I dont think so.

farmboy1989
08-05-2006, 20:17
Im not a blacken the sky kinda guy. I just like to see a little black. For example when farmin i usually bring throttle down to a quarter at turn and when i get headed back straight agin and i'll drop the disk before i throttle back up, it rolls a little smoke that way. Over on another diesel site i heard of a guy trying to get rid of tailgaters by lots of smoke and installing a windshield wiper fluid squirter by the tailpipe to make "black rain" . hehehe :)

JTodd
08-05-2006, 21:14
I saw a kid driving around in a big Dodge duelly that was blowing smoke everywhere. When we both pulled away from a stoplight together, I could hear his truck, and it did not sound good. He obviously thought all of the smoke was cool, but the sound told me his turbo was not working. You might impress the unknowing, but anyone that knows anything about trucks will see it for what it is.

Rot Box
08-05-2006, 22:07
I saw a kid driving around in a big Dodge duelly that was blowing smoke everywhere. When we both pulled away from a stoplight together, I could hear his truck, and it did not sound good. He obviously thought all of the smoke was cool, but the sound told me his turbo was not working. You might impress the unknowing, but anyone that knows anything about trucks will see it for what it is.

That pretty much sums it up :) Around here you can get a $100+ dollar ticket for excessive exhaust smoke :confused: , There is a time and place for it though. It is really cool watching the twin turbo class at a compatition sled pull, or seeing a cloud of smoke at a drag strip before someone runs a 13+ second quarter mile. Personally I like dumping it in the cab of the sport compacts as they try and race me around town ALL THE TIME :D

john8662
08-05-2006, 23:16
Yeah, bad idea, but something I was gonna do for the "fun of it"..

Take an EGR equipped intake manifold, then the EGR solenoids and vacuum supply (borrowed from a 6.2 will work). Hot wire a switch in the cab to where you can open the EGR during WOT, it'll smoke, that's fer sure!

I was only thinking of this mod for being that annoyance at the light, etc.

Kids, don't try this at home!

J