PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak, filter and water. Sorry super newb

1toncrew
08-04-2006, 20:35
hey all, I posted a lil bit back about a fuel leak. And you guys pointed me to the fuel filter which I thought did not even exist:D So Im changing the fuel filter and going to try and fix the leak.
Now this a Model FM100 on a 94 6.5 TD in a 89 Crewcab. I kniow I need to align the filter when I place back in, however to bleed the air it says Disconnect the fuel injection pump shutdown solenoid wire. Where the hell is that? Also I know the leak is coming from the hoses connected to the filter but I am unsure how to resolve this problem. Can I eliminate this funky contraption that is such a pain to get to with a aftermarket unit? I believe someone mentioned something about a unit in my last post but I forget:p
And last but not least how do I drain the stinking water?

redbird2
08-05-2006, 05:23
1) after installing the filter turn key on to run postion, open bleed screw on top of filter once fuel starts coming out shut valve then start truck

2) how to get water out you must have water in fuel light on there are 2 ways to deo this first when you chaging the filter simple remove all the fuel and water from the filter base suchion gun, stuff rags down in there and soak it up,

the other way is with the truck running open the bled valve it is mounted normal at the front of the engine on passanger side it will be a brass fitting with 2 hose attached one in the side one out the bottom the one out the bottom is a drain line goes dwon the passanger side front corner of the engine out a pan under truck when you do this, on the top of this valve there is a thread rod with a cross pin you simple have truck idling trun the valve in untio fuel start comeing out the drain line once water in fuel light goes out your done you may have to do this couple times depending on amount of water you have to get rid of.

3) depending on which hose is leaking you may have to remove the intake manifold to replace the hose that is leaking, if it is the hose from the filter to the injection pump i have never tired to replace that line with out pulling the intake might be possible life is easier with manifold off you can see everthing then just use a good grade of rubber fuel line and new clamps pretty staright forward job

4) the fuel pump shut off solenoid is the 1" diameter 2.5" long silver part coming out of the top of the injection pump. (your truck does have electric pump) if you would have a mechanical injection pump it's the larger red wire connecter to the top of the pump.

5) I have never seen a reason to replace the factory fuel filter set up seems to work pretty well i'm sure there is relocation kits available just don't from whom or where

good luck

1toncrew
08-05-2006, 09:38
how big a geal is it to pull the manifold?

redbird2
08-05-2006, 13:12
easy
1)remove upper mainfold where it connects to the lower part 6 bolts 10mm heads,
2) disconnect the hose clamp at the turbo 8mm?
3) remove brace rod from turbo to upper intake 13mm, there are 2 electrical plug on upper intake to unplug,
4) removet the filter mounting bolts where filter mounts to intake just slide filter housing back 15mm
5) remove all intake bolts 15mm
6) remove metal line holders that secure injection, lines in place have to wiggle them a little bit to get out you DO NOT have unhook injection lines
7) lift manifold off may have to move around to clear A/C line other thing

clean off old gaskets careful not to drop in thing into intake ports put back to geather with new gasekts and your done you will have to look up bolt torque off top of my head its some where in the 35ftlbs range.

hope this helps