PDA

View Full Version : 03-06 mirrors on an 02????

dieselrealtor
08-05-2006, 06:05
I have read through some of the previous posts about mirrors.

Has anyone put the later model towing mirrors on an 01 or 02?

If so, could you get the power extension to work?

Heat?

How much rewiring involved?

????

Thank you in advance.

Kennedy
08-05-2006, 07:22
GM quit these mirrors due to repair issues. I've set many up with the TTT mirrors to replace the OE units. Anybody that I talk to who has had the TTT mirrors has agreed that they are better than any other mirror out there.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/TTTmirror.htm

For point of reference, the OE mirrors are Powervision and should be able to be found in the Aftermarket.

wahoo2u
08-16-2006, 20:57
Unless your truck came factory equipped with power extention mirrors I think you are wasting time. According to the service manager at my dealer the trucks with power extention had different wiring and body modules from those with only power mirrror heads. I just went through this after buying a fifth wheel. The best option for me was a towing mirror from CIPA. It works with the factory power adjustment controls, but is manually extended. I found the set on ebay for $150.00. I saw an ad from one guy who claimed to know how to make the '06 style of tow mirror work on pre '03 trucks. The wiring info was $5.00. Good luck.

dieselrealtor
08-17-2006, 05:26
If I don't find a better deal (after I get it running) I will probably go with JK ttt mirrors or the 06 factory mirrors. They are available through a gm parts webpage for about $400 a set & I believe I could figure out how to make a pigtail to adapt the harnesses.

DmaxMaverick
08-17-2006, 09:23
The mirrors will work. The problem is, your truck didn't have a power extending option, so the extending part of the wire harness won't be there. The mirrors involve no logic (they're just slaves), so the power adjust and heat will work. You'll just have to wire in the extention circuit and install a switch. All trucks for a given year (1999+ body style) have the same wire harnesses, regardless which options they are delivered with. Many folks have added power mirrors to their previously non powered trucks, and they just plugged in (I did it, too). The connectors will be different for the years you are considering, so you will have to do some creative wiring. The aftermarkets may have adapters to make it easier.

dieselrealtor
08-17-2006, 09:31
The 06 mirrors don't have power adjust, they are manual but a much larger mirror surface. After reviews & comments about the power extend, I still like the concept but the reliability is in question.

I will probably go with a manual extend.