PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 no turbo diesel

lagom
08-05-2006, 06:45
Hi, This is my first post. I am looking for some info on a boost problem. I am getting a 236 code which is "turbo boost sensor range problem". I have been told the wastegate actuator should be up at idle and it is not. I have 20 plus inches of vacuum from the pump sitting at the wastegate solenoid and nothing out of the solenoid. I have replaced the wastegate solenoid ($40) and the turbo boost sensor ($78) and so far no luck.
I am wondering now if there is another sensor that could be affecting this or maybe the computer module. I know it could be a loose connection somewhere as well. I have been putting it off, but I may have to make a trip to the dealer.
When this finally gets fixed I will pass the info on to the group.

Thanks,
Mike

sturgeon-phish
08-05-2006, 09:59
Check all the connections and lines to ensure they're tight and leak free. I think I had the same code after dealer replaced my IP and a line was left disconnected.
Jim

john8662
08-05-2006, 11:17
Sounds like a broken line. Are you getting vacuum directly out of the solenoid on the output port?

Simply checking for vacuum at the wastegate actuator might not get you the answer you're looking for if the line is broken somewhere in between the solenoid and the actuator.

J

ff43sc
08-06-2006, 18:48
I also had no turbo....good vacuum from pump...and was blowing alot of black smoke, local diesel shop scanned computer and said solenoid was bad..replaced it with no fix....while mechanic was under hood looking at turbo/wastegate....I moved the wiring connector at the solenoid and it started working...was a broken wire where wires come out of connector on solenoid harness... was able to get fixed cheap..but cost me a new solenoid to find out it was the wiring....hope this helps..

Robyn
08-06-2006, 19:34
Generally if you are getting a code its an electrical issue. Even if the vacuum pump was bad it wont generally toss a code. The computer does not test vacuum. Check the wiring coming to the waste gate solenoid. As was previously mentioned $$$ spent sometimes dont fix things. Check the plug coming to the solenoid and see if the terminals have the proper readings

16gaSxS
08-08-2006, 13:58
In My Not So Humble Opinion (IMNSHO) dump the vaccum system buy or build a Turbo Master and be done with save fuel, horse power, money and future problems. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.

lagom
08-09-2006, 07:01
Good Morning, Thanks for all the advice, I took it as far as I could. I needed to get it fixed so I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. I will update when the solution is found. Just fyi A mechanical problem can cause an error code. A couple years ago I had a simular problem with a code and it turned out to be the vacuum pump was bad. No vacuum, no egr and no wastegate the sensors picked up the change and the ecm generated a code.

Until next time

lagom
08-09-2006, 18:45
Hey, its fixed. Give the guy with a broken wire a gold star. The dealer found a bad or loose connection somewhere in the wiring harness between the wastegate solenoid and the source of power. Tech said boost is at 20 and everything is good again.